Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paraffin wax

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    can anyone help me to find solvent to dissolve the Paraffin wax which i have?
    i need to knoe what type of solvent can dissolve it plz.:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Benzene, xylene, CS2, and possibly a large number of commercial solvents...what exactly is your requirement? What paraffin wax do you have?

4. Feb 25, 2007 #3
    really i dont know its type but its hot melt adhesive and becuase the repeated maintenace and problem at the melt machine i want to consume the wax bulk by chemical method .

5. Feb 25, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't usually recommend specific brands, but I don't know if there's a "generic" equivalent. You can get something called CitriSolv from Fisher Scientific or VWR (I think they both carry it), which is a citrus oil based solvent. More "eco-friendly" than xylene. We use it for clearing paraffin from histological sections, and it also works well on the lab benches for cleaning spilled paraffin. But, beware, any of these solvents will do a job on plastics too, so if you have any plastic parts in your equipment, you'll have to resort to old-fashioned scraping off of paraffin.

6. Aug 25, 2011 #5
    You can go to auto parts store and get brake cleaner. It is usually a combination of toluene, hexane, and xylene packed in a OH, convenient spray. It will pretty much dissolve anything that is organic, your Paraffin Wax also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?