Paraffin wax

• Thread starter mohmom
  • Start date
can anyone help me to find solvent to dissolve the Paraffin wax which i have?
i need to knoe what type of solvent can dissolve it plz.:confused:

Answers and Replies

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Benzene, xylene, CS2, and possibly a large number of commercial solvents...what exactly is your requirement? What paraffin wax do you have?

really i dont know its type but its hot melt adhesive and becuase the repeated maintenace and problem at the melt machine i want to consume the wax bulk by chemical method .

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't usually recommend specific brands, but I don't know if there's a "generic" equivalent. You can get something called CitriSolv from Fisher Scientific or VWR (I think they both carry it), which is a citrus oil based solvent. More "eco-friendly" than xylene. We use it for clearing paraffin from histological sections, and it also works well on the lab benches for cleaning spilled paraffin. But, beware, any of these solvents will do a job on plastics too, so if you have any plastic parts in your equipment, you'll have to resort to old-fashioned scraping off of paraffin.

You can go to auto parts store and get brake cleaner. It is usually a combination of toluene, hexane, and xylene packed in a OH, convenient spray. It will pretty much dissolve anything that is organic, your http://www.eifzc.com/petroleum_jelly_and_paraffin_wax.html" [Broken] also.

Last edited by a moderator: