Parafoil vs Paraglider: What Gives Them Lift?

• Thread starter Charles123
  • Start date
In summary, the main difference between a paraglider and a parafoil is that a paraglider is designed to rise in the air when encountering thermals, while a parafoil is designed to descend from airplanes. The cells in a parafoil are used to keep the parachute from collapsing, but I think the main difference is that parafoils are entirely capable of staying aloft on thermals.
Charles123
What is in a paraglider that allows it to rise in the air when in encounters rising thermals for example that a parafoil doesn’t have? Is it just the fact that paragliders have bigger canopies, therefore stronger lift? What would be the difference if they had no semi-closed air cells in the canopy? Are just about the ability to keep the canopy wide open at all times?
Thank you
Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think it's just the sum of two velocity vectors in the vertical, if the speed of the thermal updraft exceeds the down component of the gliding airfoil, then it will rise. I don't see why it would be more complex than that.

Paragliders are designed to have a low rate of descent - for example the pilot is normally suspended in the horizontal position to reduce drag.

But between the canopies, is it just a difference in size?
Thank you
Regards

I couldn't find any solid information about the essential differences between the two names, aamof. Could you enlighten me?
I have a feeling that you are basically asking about the relative merits of different wing shapes for glide angle, efficiency and manouverability. I don't think there are any simple answers to that sort of question.

Parafoil, it's a parachute of a specific shape. Its designed to jump from airplanes (mostly), therefore only to descend.
Paraglider is designed to rise also…

I would guess the difference is mainly one of wing area, then?

And what would be the difference if they had no semi-closed air cells in the canopy? Are just about the ability to keep the canopy wide open at all times?

I think the cells are to keep the 'chute from collapsing. Maybe they bleed through a bit as well, which might reduce how much lift they get from updrafts.

More to the point, parafoils are entirely capable of staying aloft on thermals. There's a spot just outside Geneva were folks can go base jump from a mountain and stay aloft pretty much as long as they want. Just trim a side to controlled spiral down before it gets dark.

1. What is the main difference between a parafoil and a paraglider?

The main difference between a parafoil and a paraglider is the shape and structure of their canopy. A parafoil has a rectangular shape with multiple cells, while a paraglider has a more curved shape with a single wing. This difference in shape affects their lift and flight characteristics.

2. How does a parafoil generate lift?

A parafoil generates lift through the Bernoulli's principle. The air passing over the curved surface of the parafoil creates a lower pressure area, which results in an upward force on the canopy. This lift is then used to support the weight of the parafoil and its payload.

3. What gives a paraglider its lift?

A paraglider also generates lift through the Bernoulli's principle. However, the curved shape of the paraglider's wing creates more lift compared to a parafoil. This allows the paraglider to fly at a slower speed and perform maneuvers such as turns and glides.

4. Which one is more suitable for recreational purposes?

Both parafoils and paragliders are suitable for recreational purposes, but they have different purposes. Parafoils are typically used for activities such as skydiving and kiting, while paragliders are used for paragliding and hang gliding. It ultimately depends on the individual's preference and the type of activity they want to engage in.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a parafoil and a paraglider?

The advantage of a parafoil is its stability, making it easier to control and maneuver. It also has a simpler design, making it easier to pack and transport. However, its rectangular shape and lack of a rigid frame limit its performance compared to a paraglider. Paragliders, on the other hand, have better lift and glide performance, but they require more skill to control and are more expensive to purchase and maintain.