How do we find the equivalent voltage in a parallel circuit?

In summary, the problem involves solving a circuit using Kirchhoff's rules and the superposition principle. The key is to assign potentials and currents to different parts of the circuit and then use the equations to find the equivalent voltage and current for the circuit. Simply adding the three voltages together will not lead to the correct answer.
hsnelect

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/7497/prob2.jpg [Broken]

Homework Equations

I = V / R

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to add the 3 voltages together but i didn't get a correct answer ..
I guess I'm missing something that has to be with the parallel Circuit or something like that ..
so how do we get the equivalent voltage ??

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi hsnelect! welcome to pf! :wink:

you need to apply Kirchhoff's rules …

call the currents I2 I4 and I5

what do you get? :smile:

Assign a potential of 0 to the bottom right of the circuit.
Assign a Potential of V to the point where V1 and the 4 and 5 ohm resistances mee

work out the currents through the 3 branches of the circuit.
for example the potential across the 5 ohm resistance is V - V3 so the current through it is [itex] (V - V_3)/ 5 [/itex]

Now you can apply Kirchhof's current law, and then solve for V. The currents can
then be found with the 3 equations you found worked out above.

I don't think that adding the 3 voltages is going to get you anywhere. It seems you
might mean the the superposition principle: If you calculate the currents with only V1 in the circuit and the other voltage sources replaces by a wire, and calculate the currents through the resistances, and then you repeat this with V2 and V3, you can then sum the 3 currents you found for each resistance to get the current through that resistance with all the voltage sources present. I don't think that's an efficient method here.

What is a parallel voltage circuit?

A parallel voltage circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a parallel configuration, meaning that they are connected to the same two points but have separate paths for the current to flow through. This results in a constant voltage across each component.

How does a parallel voltage circuit work?

In a parallel voltage circuit, the total current is divided among each parallel branch based on the resistance of the components in each branch. This allows for each component to receive the same voltage while allowing for different amounts of current to flow through each branch.

What are the advantages of a parallel voltage circuit?

Parallel voltage circuits offer several advantages, including the ability to add more components without affecting the voltage across each one, the ability to have multiple independent paths for the current to flow, and the ability to easily replace or remove individual components without affecting the rest of the circuit.

What are some common applications of parallel voltage circuits?

Parallel voltage circuits are commonly used in household electrical wiring, as well as in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and appliances. They are also used in many industrial and commercial applications where multiple components need to be powered simultaneously.

What are some potential issues with parallel voltage circuits?

One potential issue with parallel voltage circuits is that if one component fails, it can cause an increase in current flow through the remaining components, potentially leading to overheating or damage. Additionally, if the components in each branch are not well-matched, it can cause an imbalance in the current flow and affect the overall performance of the circuit.