The moment of inertia of a solid sphere

In summary, the question asks for the moment of inertia of a system consisting of a solid ball and a thin rod connected together. The moment of inertia of the solid sphere is 2/5 * MR2 and the moment of inertia of the rod is 1/3 * MR2. The total moment of inertia of the system is calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia, which gives the answer (A) as the correct answer. This is because the parallel axis theorem states that the total moment of inertia is equal to the sum of the moment of inertia of the center of mass and the product of the mass and the distance squared from the axis of rotation. Therefore, the moment of inertia for the sphere is (2/5)
bluejazz

Homework Statement

A solid ball of mass M and radius is connected to a thin rod of mass m and length L as shown. What is the moment of inertia of this system about an axis perpendicular to the other end of the rod?

Image: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/helpfy.jpg/

Homework Equations

Itotal = MD2 + Icm, where Icm = moment of inertia of the center of mass

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is given by: 2/5 * mr2
The moment of inertia of a rod being rotated as shown is: 1/3 * mr2

The Attempt at a Solution

The center of mass of the sphere is a distance L away from the axis of rotation and has a moment of inertia of 2/5 * MR2. What I have a problem with is the rod. I know the rod's moment of inertia is given by 1/3 * mr2 (for this situation), and the distance from the center of mass of the rod to the axis of rotation is L/2.

Here is my question: our lecture slides were made goofy and it gives both answer (A) and answer (C) as the correct answer. I think answer (A) is the correct answer because we are calculating Itot by adding the moment of inertia for the solid sphere and rod. With that said, I am still confused if answer (A) is the correct answer because the parallel axis theorem is given by Itotal = MD2 + Icm. Why is the MD2 term just ML2 (mass of sphere a distance L from the axis of rotation), and not the sphere PLUS the rod? I may have worded my questions a little weird, let me know if I am being confusing. Thanks (:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bluejazz said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The center of mass of the sphere is a distance L away from the axis of rotation and has a moment of inertia of 2/5 * MR2. What I have a problem with is the rod. I know the rod's moment of inertia is given by 1/3 * mr2 (for this situation), and the distance from the center of mass of the rod to the axis of rotation is L/2.

Here is my question: our lecture slides were made goofy and it gives both answer (A) and answer (C) as the correct answer. I think answer (A) is the correct answer because we are calculating Itot by adding the moment of inertia for the solid sphere and rod. With that said, I am still confused if answer (A) is the correct answer because the parallel axis theorem is given by Itotal = MD2 + Icm. Why is the MD2 term just ML2 (mass of sphere a distance L from the axis of rotation), and not the sphere PLUS the rod? I may have worded my questions a little weird, let me know if I am being confusing. Thanks (:

Yes A is correct, not C.

For the rod about its own center, I = (1/12)ML2

about its end (like where the axis is in the question) is I = (1/3)ML2

Sphere about the axis in the question = (2/5)ML2+ML2

(the rotating axis for the sphere must be moved to where it is in the diagram. The rotating axis for the rod is already the axis in the question)

Okay I get it, thanks for clearing that up for me! I apply the parallel axis theorem to the sphere, and the moment of inertia for a rod with the axis of rotation at the end is (1/3)ML^2

bluejazz said:
Okay I get it, thanks for clearing that up for me! I apply the parallel axis theorem to the sphere, and the moment of inertia for a rod with the axis of rotation at the end is (1/3)ML^2

Yep. In order to get the total inertia, all components must be 'brought to rotate about the same axis' if you get what I mean.

Yep, makes sense. Thank you for your time!

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5) * mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius.

2. How does the moment of inertia of a solid sphere compare to that of a hollow sphere?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere is greater than that of a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass is distributed closer to the axis of rotation in a solid sphere, resulting in a higher moment of inertia.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a solid sphere be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a solid sphere cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is always a positive value.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a solid sphere change with respect to its mass and radius?

The moment of inertia of a solid sphere increases with both mass and radius. This means that a larger and/or more massive solid sphere will have a greater resistance to rotational motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the moment of inertia of a solid sphere?

Understanding the moment of inertia of a solid sphere is important in the design and analysis of objects that rotate, such as wheels, gears, and flywheels. It is also crucial in understanding the stability and balance of objects in motion, such as a spinning top or a gyroscope.