What is the moment of inertia and angular velocity of a released rod?

In summary: That is what you are asking for. If you want the resultant vector, you need to find the vector that is perpendicular to the change in height.
RyRy19
A uniform rod of mass M=5.0 kg and length ℓ=20 cm is pivoted on a frictionless hinge at the end
of it. The rod is held horizontally and then released.

a) Use the parallel-axis theorem to determine the moment of inertia of the rod about the hinge (ie
its end).

b) Determine the angular velocity of the rod when it reaches the vertical position and the speed of
the rod tip’s at this point.I=MR^2

Ok so what I did first was 1/12 ML^2 as "I" about the hinge is 1/12ML2 + (M*(L/2)2) to work out A.

I don't really know how to work out b though, apart from possibly using that to work out the distance from the radius and then doing work done to then find out ω, I assume.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of the rod in the horizontal position before it is released. At the moment of release, what are the forces acting on the rod? How do these forces cause the rod to rotate about the hinged end? Draw a free body diagram.

Do you know the relationship between angular acceleration and the moment acting on a body? You know, something you might have picked up in a physics class about rotational motion.

SteamKing said:
Draw a picture of the rod in the horizontal position before it is released. At the moment of release, what are the forces acting on the rod? How do these forces cause the rod to rotate about the hinged end? Draw a free body diagram.

Do you know the relationship between angular acceleration and the moment acting on a body? You know, something you might have picked up in a physics class about rotational motion.

So If I work out I = (1/12)*M*R2
Then τ = MG* 10x10-2 (as the length of the rod is 20x10-2 - Only weight is
acting)

Then I use the solution to that and plug it into (1/2)ω2*I and solve for ω?

RyRy19 said:
So If I work out I = (1/12)*M*R2
Except that you want the moment about the hinge, as calculated in (a).
Then τ = MG* 10x10-2
As you suggested, the easy way is to use work conservation. For that, you don't need the torque. What is the rotational KE gained? What PE has been lost?

haruspex said:
Except that you want the moment about the hinge, as calculated in (a).

As you suggested, the easy way is to use work conservation. For that, you don't need the torque. What is the rotational KE gained? What PE has been lost?

So I would do mgh, for the GPE and then solve to work out v from 1/2mv^2 ? I'm guessing you take the height in regards to a triangle? Find the resultant vector or rather the hypotenuse?

If so I think I understand.

Thanks for the help.

RyRy19 said:
So I would do mgh, for the GPE and then solve to work out v from 1/2mv^2 ? I'm guessing you take the height in regards to a triangle? Find the resultant vector or rather the hypotenuse?

If so I think I understand.

Thanks for the help.

No I don't think you understand. What's the height h? Why aren't you using the formula for the kinetic energy of rotational motion?

RyRy19 said:
So I would do mgh, for the GPE and then solve to work out v from 1/2mv^2 ?
No, ##\frac 12 I\omega^2##, as you posted earlier. But make sure to use the right I.
I'm guessing you take the height in regards to a triangle? Find the resultant vector or rather the hypotenuse?
Triangle? You want the change in height of the mass centre of the rod.

What is the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem, also known as the Huygens–Steiner theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the moment of inertia of an object around an axis to the moment of inertia around a parallel axis, a certain distance away from the original axis.

What is the significance of the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is important because it allows for the calculation of an object's moment of inertia around any axis, as long as the moment of inertia around a parallel axis is known. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics to analyze the rotational motion of objects.

How do you calculate the moment of inertia using the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia using the Parallel Axis Theorem is I = Icm + md^2, where I is the moment of inertia around the parallel axis, Icm is the moment of inertia around the object's center of mass, m is the mass of the object, and d is the distance between the two axes.

What are some real-world applications of the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem has many practical applications, such as in the design of vehicles and machinery. It is used to determine the moment of inertia of car wheels, helicopter blades, and flywheels, among other things. It is also used in the analysis of rotational motion in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics.

Is the Parallel Axis Theorem applicable to all objects?

Yes, the Parallel Axis Theorem can be applied to all objects, regardless of their shape or size. It is a fundamental principle in rotational dynamics and is valid for both rigid and non-rigid bodies.