1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Axis Theorem

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    Hi all, I have run into a problem requiring the use of the parallel axis theorem. I'm kind of lost as to where to start. Can anyone help?

A thin, uniform rod is bent into a square of side length a. If the total mass is M, find the moment of inertia about an axis through the center and perpendicular to the plane of the square. Use the parallel-axis theorem.

TIA.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Treat the object as a set of four thin rods. I assume you know how to find the moment of inertia of each rod about its own center. Now use the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia of each rod about the center of the square.

4. Jun 4, 2008 #3
    Alright. So, first of all, you should know that the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate, axis through the center of the plate is:

I = (1/12)*M*(a^2+b^2)

1. Simply, for a square it would just be (a^2+a^2) or (2a^2)
    2. Then, we find moment of inertia from the parallel-axis theorem.
    3. Finally, take the moment of inertia from the parallel-axis theorem and subtract.
    (so, parallel-axis - moment of inertia)
    4. That's it, that should be the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?