1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Capacitor

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A parallel plate capacitor has two conducting plates seperated by a vacuum. The distance is D and the area of each plate is A.
    An alpha particle with mass M and charge Q is placed on the positively-charged plate, between the plates. It shoots through a small hole in the negatively charged place with speed S.
    What is the magnitude of the uniform electric field between the plates?
    How much charge lies on the positively-charged plate?
    How much energy is stored in the capacitor's electric field?

2. Relevant equations
    C=Q/V
    V=Ed
    C=(A/d)(epsilon_o)

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first question, I can find the capacitence, C=(epsilon_0)(A/D), but I'm not sure where to go from here.
    For the second question, I could find Q using C=Q/V and use V=Ed but I need E from the first question that I don't know how to find!

I'm not sure where the alpha-particle comes in to play!?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2
    You are very right about the fact that E is needed. All of your logic is great up to that point. So with problems like these, take a step back and ask; How could I possibly find E (or V).

The first thing you should do is review or find out what an alpha particle is. An alpha particle is a helium atom that has been stripped of its electrons. This means that it has a 2+ charge.

Now we know when this charged particle is placed into the capacitor, it will experience a force from the electric field and start to gain velocity. The problem tells us how fast it is moving when it reaches the other side. Try and find a way to relate the velocity obtained by the particle to the electric field or voltage between the plates. *Cough!*Use Energy*Cough!*

4. Apr 5, 2010 #3
    Thank you Hellabyte! :)

If I find V, then I know how to find E.
    So, V=Work/charge
    V=(0.5mv^2)/q
    thus V=(0.5MS^2)/Q

Is this correct? I think it is, and from here I know how to do all the problem...assuming it is correct!?

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4
    Yes exactly. Remember(or learn) that qV is the kinetic energy gained by a charged particle that goes through a potential difference of V. Try and draw some parallels to it and the gravity potential-kinetic energy problems that you probably remember so fondly, they're completely analogous.

6. Apr 5, 2010 #5
    Thank you so so so much! What great help!

7. Apr 5, 2010 #6
    No problem :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook