1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel circuit problem

1. May 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the next circuit to find the voltages
    2. Relevant equations
    I=V/R
    GT=(1/R1)+(1/Rn)
    V=V1=V2=V3
    3. The attempt at a solution
    My background is that I know that in a parallel circuit, the voltage for each component is the same and electric current it's equal to the sum of the electric currents of each one of the resistances by separate. My first and only attempt was to multiply the 5A by 3 ohms.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your problem statement is not clear or complete. What do you mean by "Solve the next circuit"? Solve for what? Please make an effort to provide clear problem statements that can be readily understood by the Homework Helpers.

What was your motivation for multiplying 5A by 3 Ohms? What about the 1A source and the other resistor?

Hint: You are given a current through one of the resistors. Does that give you any useful voltage information?

4. May 11, 2015 #3
    According what I understand, the 2.4A would help me to get the voltage using Voltage=(current)(resistance), or in what way can it help me?

5. May 11, 2015 #4

gneill

Review your own Attempt at a solution content, the answer's there!

6. May 12, 2015 #5
    I made a procedure and I get that the voltage=4.8V and the current for the resistance of 3 Ohms it´s equal to 1.6A, am I right?

7. May 12, 2015 #6

gneill

Looks good.

8. May 12, 2015 #7
    If all it's Ok, I think that this exercise is solved, thanks for your help with this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted