Calculate Battery Energy Delivery Rate for Parallel Circuit

In summary, the current in the circuit is 2 A and the resistance is 9 ohms. The circuit also contains 3 parallel resistors with values of 15 ohms, 12 ohms, and 9 ohms. The equivalent resistance of the parallel combination is 3.83 ohms. The voltage across each branch of the resistance is the same and can be found using V = I9*r3. The energy dissipation can be calculated using W = V^2/r.
Ruleski

Homework Statement

A current I9 = 2 A flows through the 9 ohm resistor. At what rate does the battery deliver energy to the entire circuit?

Homework Equations

There are 3 resistors in the circuit, all wired in parallel. r1=15 ohms, r2=12 ohms, r3=9 ohms

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the expression for the equivalent resistance of the parallel combination?

What is the energy dissipation in the resistance?

In the problem I9 and r3 is given. Find the applied voltage across the parallel combination.

All I know is that resistance is 1/total=1/r1+1/r2+1/r3. I calculated 3.83 ohms

Ruleski said:
All I know is that resistance is 1/total=1/r1+1/r2+1/r3. I calculated 3.83 ohms

In parallel combination voltage across each branch of the resistance is the same.

So V = I9*r3.

Energy dissipation is W = V^2/r.

Thank You. I was using the wrong equation for the last step

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a way that allows the current to flow through multiple paths. This means that the current is divided among the components, and each component receives the same voltage.

2. How do you calculate battery energy delivery rate for a parallel circuit?

To calculate the battery energy delivery rate for a parallel circuit, you need to first determine the total resistance of the circuit. This can be done by adding the reciprocals of each individual resistance and then taking the reciprocal of that sum. Once you have the total resistance, you can use the formula P = V^2/R to calculate the power, which is the energy delivery rate of the battery.

3. Why is it important to calculate battery energy delivery rate for a parallel circuit?

Calculating the battery energy delivery rate for a parallel circuit is important because it allows us to understand how much power the battery is supplying to the circuit. This is useful for determining the appropriate battery size and ensuring that the circuit is not overloaded, which can lead to damage or failure.

4. Can the battery energy delivery rate change in a parallel circuit?

Yes, the battery energy delivery rate can change in a parallel circuit. This is because the total resistance of the circuit will change depending on the number and values of the components connected in parallel. As the total resistance changes, the power and energy delivery rate of the battery will also change.

5. How does the battery energy delivery rate affect the overall performance of a parallel circuit?

The battery energy delivery rate directly affects the overall performance of a parallel circuit. A higher energy delivery rate means that the battery is supplying more power to the circuit, which can result in faster and more efficient operation. On the other hand, a lower energy delivery rate can lead to slower performance and potential issues such as dimmer lights or slower motor speed.