1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Component for E over charged disk

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    (NOTE: I am doing this to possibly re-enter a graduate program and earn a PhD. This is not being done for class.)

DJ Griffiths, Prob. 2.6, solved.

My question is about the parallel component of the [tex]\vec{E}[/tex]-field. If you integrate over cylindrical coordinates, then by symmetry this component cancels as you integrate around [tex]\phi[/tex]. So my question is about that integral - will it integrate to zero, or are we to ad hoc cancel the [tex]\phi = 0[/tex] term for [tex]dq[/tex] with the [tex]\phi = 180[/tex] term for [tex]dq[/tex]?

Here is the integral as I set it up:

[tex]2\pik\sigma\int{\frac{s^2}{(z^2 + s^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}}ds[/tex],

where [tex]s, \phi, z[/tex] are the cylindrical coordinates.

Oh, and yes, I did try [tex]s = z \cdot tan(\theta)[/tex]

and get [tex]\int{\frac{1}{cos(\theta)}}d\theta[/tex] plus another term which is handleable.

Now that I think of it, the integral should integrate to zero since it is for the full disk, namely: [tex]0 < \phi < 2 \pi[/tex]. So it should naturally integrate to zero. ...no? :redface:

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?