Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel demensions

1. Dec 3, 2003 #1
    Is it possible for there to be other planes or demensions paralell (or not paralell) to ours? If so, are they infinate in number, or what? If any one has any information on this subject, I would greatly appreciate it!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2003 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

In the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics, a new world branches off every time conventional QM has a "wave collapse" or in other words whenever the wave function produces a set of definite values. Then according to MWI, the wave does not collapse but the world splits so that each value has its own stream. In this case there would be an enormous number of separate worldstreams, but not infinite.

Some physicists believe in the many worlds interpretation, but not very many. But AFAIK no one has ever refuted it.

4. Dec 11, 2003 #3
    How could they possibly refute it? It strikes me a lot like tachyons--something that can in principle have no contact with ot influence on our universe. In that case, one way or another, what would it matter?

BTW, I'm new here. I cut out some of the previous post in my quotation to save space. Is that kind of selective quoting considered impolite here?

5. Dec 11, 2003 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Selective quoting is fine. It might be nice, but not necessary if when you cut something out of the middle of a quoted text, you put some dahes or the word snip, or something to indicate the gap.

6. Dec 13, 2003 #5
    Thanks for the info. I appreciated it!

7. Dec 17, 2003 #6

LURCH

Science Advisor

Which is exactly why I cannot accept the MWI myself. One of the cardinal rules of the Everett Interpretation is that events in one universe can have no effect on another. This may make ti impossible to refute the MWI, but it automatically refutes all evidence used to support it. Many Worlds was proposed to explain phenomina observed in the lab, yet it states that no phenominon supporting the View could be observed. Ergo, no evidence that has been observed can be in support of the MWI.

8. Jan 5, 2004 #7
    Au con-trair French is not my first language, in fact it isn't even my 40th.

9. Jan 9, 2004 #8

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

AFAIK = as far as I know? Hmm, doesn't seem French to me

Why is it that few people on PF (other than Monique) seem to casually drop Hindi, or Thai, or Chinese, or Japanese, or Bahasa references into their posts?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?