Parallel-plate capacitor and work

In summary, the work done if the plates of a parallel-plate capacitor with an area of 100 cm2 and a distance of 3 cm are slowly parted to a distance of 5 cm while kept at a voltage of 1000V is 3.54x10⁴ J if the plates are isolated and 3.54x10⁴ + V²/R if they are not isolated. The equations used are U = 1/2*CV^2 and P = IV = I²R = V²/R.
SimpliciusH
Disclaimer: Not very good at English terminology and notation so I've improvised and googled a bit, hope this isn't *too* poorly written to understand. Please correct me on my mistakes. :)

Homework Statement

The plates of of a paralell-plate capacitor have an area of 100 cm2 and are 3 cm apart. How much work is done if we slowly part them to a distance of 5 cm, if the plates are kept at a voltage 1000V? (a) What if the plates have been isolated during the experiment? (b)

Homework Equations

capacity=influence constant*area/distance
charge= capacity * voltage
F = charge * E

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
a) If the plates have been isolated during the experiment, then the work done would be equal to the change in potential energy. The potential energy of the capacitor is given by U = 1/2*CV^2, where C is the capacitance and V is the voltage applied. The capacitance of the capacitor is given by C = εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates and d is the distance between them. Therefore, the change in potential energy is U = 1/2*(εA/d₁ - εA/d₂)*V², where d₁ and d₂ are the initial and final distances between the plates, respectively. For the given scenario, U = 1/2*(8.85x10⁻¹²*100/3 - 8.85x10⁻¹²*100/5)*1000² = 3.54x10⁴ J. b) If the plates are not isolated, then the work done would also include the energy dissipated in the external circuit, which is given by P = IV = I²R = V²/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage and R is the resistance of the external circuit. Therefore, the total work done is equal to the sum of the change in potential energy and the energy dissipated in the external circuit, i.e. W = U + P = 3.54x10⁴ + V²/R.

What is a parallel-plate capacitor?

A parallel-plate capacitor is a type of electronic component that stores electrical charge between two parallel plates separated by a dielectric material. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to store and regulate electrical energy.

How does a parallel-plate capacitor work?

A parallel-plate capacitor works by creating an electric field between the two plates. When a voltage is applied to the plates, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric potential difference, or voltage, between the plates, which allows the capacitor to store electrical charge.

What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor is affected by the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. The capacitance increases with a larger plate area and a smaller distance between the plates, and it also depends on the type of material used as the dielectric.

How is the stored energy in a parallel-plate capacitor calculated?

The stored energy in a parallel-plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula U = 1/2 * C * V^2, where U is the stored energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the plates in volts.

What are some common applications of parallel-plate capacitors?

Parallel-plate capacitors are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power supply units, electric motors, and other industrial equipment.