1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel-Plate capacitor force

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine you have a parallel-plate capacitor with area A and charge Q = [itex]\sigma[/itex]A, separated by a distance x, which may vary while the charge stays fixed in the plates.

a. The force that each plate exerts over the other can be expressed as _______.
    b. How much work is required double the distance that the plates had between them originally?
    c. If the original voltage is V, once the distance between the plates is doubled, the voltage between the plates will be _________.

2. Relevant equations

C = (ε0 A)/d

E = σ/A

σ= Q/A

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't know where to start this one. Since it asked for force I thought about using Coulomb's Law but that took me nowhere. I'm guessing the equations I put above are vital in all of this, but I can't seem to figure the relationships out. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2
  4. Mar 26, 2012 #3
    Thanks. I'll check that out then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook