1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel plate capacitor

1. Feb 27, 2006 #1
    Consider an air filled parallel plate capacitor with plate area A and gap width d. The plate charge is Q. The total energy stored in the capacitor is given by U= Q^2 *d /2 E_o A. With the battery connected, fill the gap by a slab with the dielectric constant k. Given : E= 70 V, k= 3.8, d=0.8 mm and A = 25.6 cm^2, E_o = 8.85 x 10^-12 C^2/Nm^2, find the electric charge on the plate. Answer in units of C.
    I really have no idea how to do this. I know that I have everything needed to find the total energy, but I don't really know how to get the charge from that. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What is the equation relating Q, C and V? What is the equation relating C, epsilon, A and d?

4. Feb 27, 2006 #3
    I figured it out... thank you.

5. Feb 27, 2006 #4
    horribly similar is: given only area of each plate, a distance between the plates, and instead, k = 1 (due to a vacuum as opposed to a slab), and the voltage, how would one find surface charge density (in Coulombs/meter^2)? I think i'm only confusing myself by changing various units around (such as volts to Joules/Coulomb)

So the work i've done so far includes:
    I've noticed this should be relatively easy; the formula for density is simply just magnitude of the electric field multiplied with the surface area.
    First I converted surface area from cm^2 to meters^2, I'm simply stuck on changing the charge difference from volts to coulombs :(

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?