1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Plate Capacitor?

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing a problem in my physics textbook where there is two concentric hollow spheres and the space between them is filled with a dielectric substance. The question asks for the electric energy in this space.

2. Relevant equations
    The only given equation for the C of parallel plate capacitors in my text book is C = A(epsilon)(dielectric constant)/d There is nothing for spherical capacitors
    Since the problem has two concentric circles, the plate areas are different. I am not sure if this is still the correct formula to use in this case.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the change in voltage is given in the text, I need to calculate the capacitance of the 'capacitor' to find the contained electrical energy. The areas are different, so the equation above for C might not apply. How should I proceed from here?

Thank you for helping out! =)

EDIT: I'm sorry, I've figured this out already! I used the energy density of the space, which is the energy(electric energy here) over the volume of the space. Energy density is also equal to 1/2 (dielectric const.)(epsilon)(electric field)^2 so I worked my way to the electrical energy.
    Thanks anyway!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted