1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Plate Capacitor

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    Given: There are two parallel plates. The left plate of a parallel plate capacitor carries a positive charge Q, and the right plate carries a negative charge -Q. The magnitude of the electric field between the plates is 100 kV/m. The plates each have an area of 2 × 10-3 m2, and the spacing between the plates is 6 × 10-3 m. There is no dielectric between the plates. Calculate the energy stored in the capacitor.

I found C is 2.95 x10^-12 by taking ((8.85x10^-12)(2 x10^-3))/(6x10^-3).

I know:
    the electric field is uniform and that V=E*d
    The potential difference is just the magnitude of the electric field times the distance you move in the electric field

When I try to solve for V or PE, I keep getting the Power of ten error.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you:)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The value you have for C looks good to me.
    What formula are you using for the energy of the capacitor?
    Note that in V = E*d, the E is not energy. Also, the potential V is not the energy; it is the energy per charge.

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    I'm not exactly sure what formula to use. I am kind of stuck.

5. Sep 15, 2010 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

6. Sep 15, 2010 #5
    Thank you so much for your help:)

I figured it out. I had to find the Voltage which is 600. Then plug it into the equation: PE=1/2CV^2

7. Sep 15, 2010 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Most welcome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook