How Does a Dielectric Constant Affect Capacitor Charge?

In summary, to find the charge stored in a parallel plate capacitor connected to a 12 V source and filled with oil of dielectric constant 3, first find the initial capacitance using C = q / V. Then, use the formula C = C0 * k to find the new capacitance, and finally use q = CV to find the final charge.
logearav

Homework Statement

A Parallel Plate Capacitor connected to a 12 V source is charged to 21 micro coulomb. If the capacitor is filled with an oil of dielectric constant 3, then the charge stored is ---

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

C = q / V, substituting the values i got 1.75 micro farad. Now from the equation Cdielec/ Cair= epsilonr i now got 5.25 micro farad.
Again Cdielec = q /V, i cross multiplied 12 volt with 5.25 micro farad and got the answer 63 micro coulomb as the answer. But the answer as given in the book is 57 micro coulomb. Is there any mistake in my steps? Please help

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Your approach seems correct, but there may be a small calculation error. Here is how I would solve the problem:

1. Use the formula C = q / V to find the initial capacitance: C = (21 microC) / (12 V) = 1.75 microF.

2. Use the formula C = C0 * k (where C0 is the initial capacitance and k is the dielectric constant) to find the new capacitance after the oil is added: C = (1.75 microF) * 3 = 5.25 microF.

3. Use the formula q = CV to find the final charge: q = (5.25 microF) * (12 V) = 63 microC.

I hope this helps. If you still get a different answer, please double check your calculations. Good luck!

1. What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of electronic component that stores electrical energy. It consists of two parallel conducting plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the plates, an electric field is created between them, which allows the capacitor to store energy.

2. How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by storing electrical energy in an electric field. When a voltage is applied to the plates, electrons accumulate on one plate and are depleted on the other, creating a potential difference between the plates. The insulating material between the plates, known as the dielectric, helps to maintain this charge separation.

3. What are the factors that affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor depends on three main factors: the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. A larger distance between the plates will decrease the capacitance, while a larger plate area and a higher dielectric constant will increase the capacitance.

4. What are some common applications of parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits, including as energy storage in power supplies, for filtering and smoothing signals, and as timing elements in oscillators. They are also used in various electronic devices, such as radios, televisions, and computers.

5. How can I calculate the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = ε0 * A/d, where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. The capacitance is measured in farads (F), and the other variables are measured in meters (m).