Calculating Electron Trajectory in a Parallel Plate Conductor

In summary: Also, can you please explain what you did to find the value for Δy? In summary, the electron was fired at a speed of 5.6 ✕ 10^6 m/s and at an angle of -40° between two parallel conducting plates that are 2.5 mm apart. The voltage difference between the plates is 103 V. Using the equation for acceleration, I found the value for Vy to be 5.6e6sin(40). I then used vyf^2 = vyo^2 + 2aΔy to solve for Δy. My answer was .54 mm, but the website says I'm off by more than 10%. I haven't tried part B yet because I
laurajean997

Homework Statement

An electron is fired at a speed vo = 5.6 ✕ 10^6 m/s and at an angle θo = -40° between two parallel conducting plates that are D = 2.5 mm apart, as in Figure P16.66. The voltage difference between the plates is ΔV = 103 V.

p16-66.gif

Homework Equations

F = Eq

E = V/d

a = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding acceleration with (ΔV/D)(q/m) or 103/.0025 * 1.6e-19/9.11e-31

I found Vy with 5.6e6sin(40)

Then i used vyf^2 = vyo^2 + 2aΔy to solve for Δy

then i subtracted my answer from .00125 m and got .54 mm, but the website says I'm off by more than 10%.

I haven't tried part B yet because i could have acceleration wrong and that will just mess up both answers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget gravity, or at least check how it compares with the acceleration of the electric field.
Write down equations, instead of narrating your calculations.

The acceleration was something x 10^15 so i figured gravity was negligible.

laurajean997 said:

Homework Statement

An electron is fired at a speed vo = 5.6 ✕ 10^6 m/s and at an angle θo = -40° between two parallel conducting plates that are D = 2.5 mm apart, as in Figure P16.66. The voltage difference between the plates is ΔV = 103 V.

p16-66.gif

Homework Equations

F = Eq

E = V/d

a = F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding acceleration with (ΔV/D)(q/m) or 103/.0025 * 1.6e-19/9.11e-31

I found Vy with 5.6e6sin(40)

Then i used vyf^2 = vyo^2 + 2aΔy to solve for Δy

then i subtracted my answer from .00125 m and got .54 mm, but the website says I'm off by more than 10%.

I haven't tried part B yet because i could have acceleration wrong and that will just mess up both answers.

Hi laurajean997. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you show your attempt in a bit more detail? In particular, show the values that you obtained for the intermediate steps.

Your approach to solving this problem is correct, but there may be a small error in your calculations. First, let's review the equations you used:

F = Eq, where F is the force on the electron, E is the electric field, and q is the charge of the electron.
E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage difference between the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.
a = F/m, where a is the acceleration of the electron, F is the force on the electron, and m is the mass of the electron.

Based on these equations, your approach of finding the acceleration (a) using a = (ΔV/D)(q/m) is correct. However, it seems like you may have made a small error in your calculations for the acceleration. Using the correct values for ΔV and D, the acceleration should be approximately 2.35 x 10^17 m/s^2.

Next, you correctly found the initial vertical velocity (Vy) using the given speed and angle. However, in your calculation for Δy, it seems like you may have used the wrong value for the initial vertical velocity. The correct value should be approximately 3.78 x 10^6 m/s.

Using these corrected values, the final vertical velocity (vyf) should be approximately 3.76 x 10^6 m/s. Using this value in the equation vyf^2 = vyo^2 + 2aΔy, you should get a value of approximately 0.31 mm for Δy.

Subtracting this value from the given distance of 2.5 mm, we get a final answer of 2.19 mm for the vertical position of the electron after it passes through the plates.

I hope this helps to clarify any errors in your calculations and leads you to the correct solution. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a parallel plate conductor?

A parallel plate conductor is a type of electrical conductor that consists of two flat plates of conducting material that are parallel to each other. It is used to create a uniform electric field between the plates, which can be used for various applications such as capacitors and sensors.

How does a parallel plate conductor work?

A parallel plate conductor works by creating a uniform electric field between the two plates. When a voltage is applied to the plates, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric potential difference. This potential difference between the plates creates an electric field, which can be used to store energy or measure changes in the electric field.

What are the applications of parallel plate conductors?

Parallel plate conductors have various applications, including use in capacitors, sensors, and particle accelerators. They are also used in electronic devices such as touch screens and LCD displays. They can also be used for scientific experiments, such as measuring the dielectric properties of materials.

How can the capacitance of a parallel plate conductor be calculated?

The capacitance of a parallel plate conductor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. This formula assumes that the electric field between the plates is uniform and the plates are parallel to each other.

What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate conductor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate conductor is affected by the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the permittivity of the material between the plates. It is also affected by the presence of dielectric materials between the plates, which can increase the capacitance by reducing the electric field strength between the plates.