Parallel Plate Fields: Questions & Answers

In summary, the conversation discusses the convention for drawing arrows in field sketches, whether they should touch the plates or be in the middle of the line. It also mentions the importance of clearly indicating whether the arrow represents the field at the tip, tail, or middle. The conversation also brings up the concept of fringe fields and their relevance in certain situations. The role of field lines is also discussed, specifically their starting and ending points on charges and the importance of closed loops for magnetic field lines.
aspodkfpo
Homework Statement:: n/a
Relevant Equations:: n/a

1597754102234.png

Sorry for the wonky mouse sketching. Teacher said that arrows must touch the plate at the other end. Is there actually such a thing or is this just preference? I thought convention was for arrow to be in the middle of the line.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I am aware there is no such convention for field lines. Field lines are just curves tangent to the vector field, and don't even necessarily require arrows (although they're pretty helpful to insert).

But if you are instead sketching a vector field, i.e. drawing an arrow at every point in space, then you need to make clear whether the arrow represents the field at the point of the tip, tail or middle of the arrow. This is important, since the electric field at each point in space is a bound vector.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, looks like it's done both ways.

https://buphy.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/cap1.GIF

1597756043570.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ot9IExHXVFIK7Fo9lRFv_gPHTkJH0XJP5j8XpDOEuPsyC3W-J3dWesF4mPw-No-pfHh109Hy9XSAIwkx4FyfaxFyyFO6ZQYWIOT6qxDg79NCnoNBjcOKGbL1X5A5tIvKDA

1597756081745.png

I usually put the arrowhead at the end for the E-field in a capacitor, but in the middle for the magnetic field around a magnetic dipole, for example.

Likes vanhees71
berkeman said:
Yeah, looks like it's done both ways.

https://buphy.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/cap1.GIF

View attachment 267917

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ot9IExHXVFIK7Fo9lRFv_gPHTkJH0XJP5j8XpDOEuPsyC3W-J3dWesF4mPw-No-pfHh109Hy9XSAIwkx4FyfaxFyyFO6ZQYWIOT6qxDg79NCnoNBjcOKGbL1X5A5tIvKDA

View attachment 267918

I usually put the arrowhead at the end for the E-field in a capacitor, but in the middle for the magnetic field around a magnetic dipole, for example.
For the red diagram a) that you whipped up, it shows the field outside of the plates. Is that meant to be drawn?

aspodkfpo said:
For the red diagram a) that you whipped up, it shows the field outside of the plates. Is that meant to be drawn?
LOL, I "whipped it up" by doing a Google Images search. I find that to be a very helpful way to get a quick look at possible solutions and visulaizations. I think my search phrase at Google Images was something like Electric Field in a Capacitor or similar.

As far as the E-field outside of the volume of the capacitor, that is called the "fringe field", and is usually only relevant and considered if the spacing between the plates is on the same order as the size of the plates. When the plate separation << than the linear dimensions of the plates, the contribution to the capacitance from the fringe field is usually negligible. Does that make sense?

Likes etotheipi and aspodkfpo
What are the arrows representing? Field vectors or field lines? In the latter case, the important point is that the lines should touch the plates (so you don't have field lines appearing out of nowhere) not where the arrowhead is drawn. It seems possible that this is what your teacher means.

Last edited:
The field lines must end on the plates, because that's where charges are sitting. Field lines start (positive charge) and end (negative charge) at the sources according to ##\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\rho/\epsilon_0##. That's also why magnetic field lines (with ##\vec{B}## as the magnetic field!) must never have a beginning and an end, i.e., they always form closed loops (sometimes in idealized situations like an infinite coil at infinity).

Likes Ibix and etotheipi

1. What is a parallel plate field?

A parallel plate field is a type of electric field that is created between two parallel conducting plates. It is a uniform field, meaning the strength and direction of the field is the same at all points between the plates.

2. How is a parallel plate field created?

A parallel plate field is created by applying a potential difference, or voltage, between the two plates. This causes a flow of electrons from one plate to the other, creating an electric field between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of a parallel plate field?

The strength of a parallel plate field is affected by the distance between the plates, the voltage applied, and the material and size of the plates. The closer the plates are together and the higher the voltage, the stronger the field will be.

4. Can a parallel plate field exist in a vacuum?

Yes, a parallel plate field can exist in a vacuum. In fact, this is often used in experiments to study the behavior of charged particles in the absence of air molecules or other external influences.

5. What are some real-world applications of parallel plate fields?

Parallel plate fields have many practical applications, including in capacitors, particle accelerators, and cathode ray tubes. They are also used in devices such as inkjet printers and photocopiers to control the movement of charged particles.