1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel-Plate Vacuum Capacitor

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    If a parallel-plate vacuum capacitor, with its plates separated by a distance of x1 has an amount of energy equal to U stored in it. The separation is then decreased to x2 .

What is the energy now stored if the capacitor was disconnected from the potential source before the separation of the plates was changed? I know that I am suppose to use the formula C= Q/V but how do I put U in terms of x1 and x2?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

As the battery is disconnected, the charge on the capacitor plates becomes constant. Now by changing capacitance the potential difference will change and hence it is batter to use the formula Q^2 /2C of the energy.

Capacitance in the two situations are to be calculated and Q is calculated by first situation only.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?