1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel plates capacitor

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Capacitor parallel plates separation $$d$$, potencial diference $$V_0$$, at the center there is a semi sphere of radius $r_0$.

Find the potencial as function of position if $$d>>r_0$$
    2. Relevant equations
    I think that relevant equation are Gauss Law

3. The attempt at a solution
    Mi proposed of solution is

$$V_{plates}= \sigma /\epsilon_0 z $$

for $$r<|r_0|$$

Gauss Low

$$E 4/3 \pi r^2 = \sigma 4/3 \pi r_0^2$$

$$E= \sigma r_0^2 /\epsilon_0 r^{-2} \hat{r} $$

$$ V_{sp} = \sigma r_0 /\epsilon_0 ( r_0/r-1) = \sigma r_0 /\epsilon_0 ( r_0/\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}-1) $$

And for $$r>|r_0|$$

$$ V=V_{plates}+V_{sp}$$

Help please

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Alex,

Can't really follow. It looks to me as if you assume ##\sigma## is a constant, but why would it be constant ? The plates are conducting, so the electric field has to be perpendicular to the surface at all places. I don't think you potential satisfies that.

Note that your addition counts in a circular disk radius r0 that isn't really there !

4. Dec 7, 2015 #3
    Tanks

Some suggest for solving my problem?

my adittion out of radius $$r_0$$ is because there is two field electrics at zone $$r>|r_0|$$, then two potential . I dont am sure of this.

Help please

Attached Files:

5. Dec 7, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think I understand what you mean, and I tried to bring across that the complete field is not a simple addition obtained from two plates and half a sphere. You will have to find something that satisfies the field equations and the boundary conditions as well. Not so trivial, I grant you. Do you know about the image charge method ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted