1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel RC circuit

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    Parallel RC circuit (Updated)

I'm having trouble with a seemingly simple circuit. I have a voltage source (not alternating current) that increases exactly with time. In other words, if you graphed voltage as a function of time, the slope would be 1. The voltage equation is v(t)=t. The capacitor is 1/2 F and the resistor is 3Ω. Here's a picture of the circuit.
    http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/1351/circuite.png [Broken]
    I'm supposed to find the current i(t) in the left branch where the voltage source is connected.

I applied the KCL law to the upper node where the resistor and capacitor branches meet. I labelled the current I'm solving for i(t). The current through the capacitor is ic(t) and the current through the resistor is ir(t). Using KCL, I get:
    i(t)=ic(t)+ir(t).

The equation for current through a capacitor is:
    i(t)=C*(dv(t)/dt)
    Since the derivative of the voltage function is 1, and the capacitor is 1/2 F:
    ic(t)=1/2 A

For the current through the resistor, I just applied Ohm's Law and got:
    ir(t)=v(t)/3Ω, which is just;
    ir(t)=t/3

Therefore, my final answer is:
    i(t)=t/3 + 1/2 A

The book's answer is:
    i(t)=t/3 + 5/6 A

I might add that the function is only v(t)=t on the domain t={-1,0}. I didn't think this was too relevant since I'm only solving for the current on this domain. Also, the voltage source starts at 0V, so it peaks at 1V where t=0.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks like the book is incorrect on the 5/6 A bit. Perhaps they originally designed the question with another V(t) function in mind and failed to change the answer when they changed the problem.

4. Mar 20, 2012 #3
    Does my answer look correct? I felt a little unsure about applying Ohm's law directly to the right branch.

5. Mar 20, 2012 #4

gneill

Looks fine to me :smile: Ohm's law was the correct choice for the resistor.

6. Mar 21, 2012 #5
    I got someone else to work it and he had the book's answer. The problem is that he did a lot of it in his head and I didn't have much time to write it down. I know that probably sounds strange, but I thought I would understand more if I looked at the small amount I wrote later. Anyway, I think I'm doing something wrong with the capacitor's current. I remember he added 1/3 A to the 1/2 A to get the 5/6 A. He applied the same differential equation that I used above, but on top of that he was able to add that extra 1/3 A. I vaguely remember him getting that 1/3 A from calculating a 1/6. I still can't figure out where that extra 1/3 A came from.

7. Mar 21, 2012 #6

gneill

I don't see where the extra 1/3 A could come from either, assuming that the applied voltage does indeed ramp up from 0 to 1V over 1 second.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook