Understanding the Q Factor in Parallel Resonant Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the usage of the Q factor in parallel LC tank circuits and the formula for calculating it. It is mentioned that the Q factor of the inductor used in the tank circuit may be different from the overall Q factor of the parallel LC tank circuit. The formula Q=wL/R is also discussed and it is noted that it may not accurately reflect the DC resistance. The conversation also touches on the conversion of series resistance of the inductor to parallel resistance for easier analysis.
appoos
hi there..in some places, i saw the usage "the Q factor of parallel LC tank ckt" while in some others, the Q factor of the inductor used in tank ckt is given..are they same??
As far as i know,Q=wL/R is the thing for inductor ,where R is inductor's series resistance..is the formula same for the entire parallel tank ckt??

Also, i would like to know why, during analysis, do we convert series R of inductor to parallel resistance by formula, Rp =R/Q^2 ??

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
appoos said:
hi there..in some places, i saw the usage "the Q factor of parallel LC tank ckt" while in some others, the Q factor of the inductor used in tank ckt is given..are they same??
Close to being the same. Low-loss capacitors are easy to find, so most of the losses are in the coil.
As far as i know,Q=wL/R is the thing for inductor ,where R is inductor's series resistance..is the formula same for the entire parallel tank ckt??
Practically, provided you use high quality capacitors. But that's not DC resistance.
Also, i would like to know why, during analysis, do we convert series R of inductor to parallel resistance by formula, Rp =R/Q^2 ??
It probably makes analysis easier.

Welcome to PF.

thank you..

1. What is a parallel resonant circuit?

A parallel resonant circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a capacitor and an inductor connected in parallel. It is also known as a tank circuit because it can store electrical energy in the form of oscillations at a specific resonant frequency.

2. How does a parallel resonant circuit work?

A parallel resonant circuit works by allowing a large amount of current to flow through the inductor and capacitor at the resonant frequency. This causes the energy to oscillate back and forth between the two components, resulting in a high voltage across the capacitor and a low current through the inductor.

3. What is the resonant frequency of a parallel resonant circuit?

The resonant frequency of a parallel resonant circuit can be calculated using the formula f0 = 1/(2π√LC), where f0 is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

4. What are the applications of parallel resonant circuits?

Parallel resonant circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power factor correction circuits, frequency filters, and in wireless communication systems.

5. What are the advantages of using a parallel resonant circuit?

Some advantages of using a parallel resonant circuit include its ability to amplify signals at a specific frequency, its ability to store large amounts of energy, and its ability to reject signals at frequencies other than the resonant frequency. It is also more stable than series resonant circuits and has a higher Q factor, which indicates its efficiency.