1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel RLC circuit

1. Dec 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the following circuit:

331fuie.jpg

where R1 = 100k[tex]\Omega[/tex], R2 = 10[tex]\Omega[/tex], L = 0,1Hy, C = 200[tex]\mu[/tex]F. V gives a constant tension of 1V. Find the current I as function of the frecuence, the condition of resonance, and the condition R1 and R2 must have so that the Q factor = 0,5

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is that I can't define de phase phi due to the lack of information about the frecuence, plus the expressions for the current I that I found are ugly.

I condensed the resistance R1 and the inductance L into the impedance Z1 = R1 + jwL, and the resistance R2 and the capacitance C into the impedance Z2 = (1/R1 - jwC)-1. Then I condensed those two into the impedance Z3 = Z1 + Z2.

I find this process very annoying, especially considering that I have to find the inverse of a complex number.

What faster way can I use to solve the problem? Because if I use Kirchoff's First and Second Rule I get an uglier equation system.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2009 #2
    Anybody?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook