Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Universes

1. Jun 23, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

What observation do you have in mind that would prove, or disprove, the 'parallel universe' conjecture? I think it is bad science.
  4. Jun 24, 2007 #3
    I reckon that idea of parallel universes sounds more like fiction that fact.
    Of course, since I am not well up in it, that's just my opinion.

Maybe theoretical cosmologists can vary the number of dimensions and other variables, which will yield different universes and parallel universes depending on their models and variables.

When meteorologists were developing computer programs to simulate the weather, depending on their model and variables, they could generate a wide range of results.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  5. Jun 25, 2007 #4
    I think the idea of parallel universes has some credibility in the context of 11 dimensional M-theory, that is, if it turns out to be a valid theory of the universe. It seems conceivable that we could inhabit a 4-brane in a higher dimensional bulk in which it is then quite possible that other 4-branes reside with similar or even identical laws of physics. However this is highly speculative at the moment with no experimental proof of the validity of string / M theory.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?