1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel vectors

1. Sep 11, 2006 #1
    hey,
    ive been given a problem where vector a = 2i + 3j and vector b = [tex]\lambda[/tex]i + 12j and also told that these vectors are parallel of each other. i understand since the vectors are parallel of each other, the angle between them would be equal to zero, thus i could apply the scalar product rule to help solve this problem, which in this case i did.

My working:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{c}
    {\bf{a}} = 2{\bf{i}} + 3{\bf{j}} \\
    {\bf{b}} = \lambda {\bf{i}} + 12{\bf{j}} \\
    {\bf{a}}\parallel {\bf{b}} \\
    \theta = 0 \\
    \cos \theta = 1 \\
    {\bf{a}} \cdot {\bf{b}} = \left| {\bf{a}} \right|\left| {\bf{b}} \right|\cos \theta \\
    \left( {2{\bf{i}} + 3{\bf{j}}} \right) \cdot \left( {\lambda {\bf{i}} + 12{\bf{j}}} \right) = \left( {\sqrt {13} } \right)\left( {\sqrt {144 + \lambda ^2 } } \right)\left( 1 \right) \\
    2\lambda + 36 = \left( {\sqrt {13} } \right)\left( {\sqrt {144 + \lambda ^2 } } \right) \\
    \left( {2\lambda + 36} \right)^2 = 13\left( {144 + \lambda ^2 } \right) \\
    4\lambda ^2 + 144\lambda + 1296 = 1872 + 13\lambda ^2 \\
    - 9\lambda ^2 + 144\lambda - 576 = 0 \\
    x = \frac{{ - b \pm \sqrt {b^2 - 4ac} }}{{2a}} \\
    \lambda = \frac{{ - 144 \pm \sqrt {144^2 - 4\left( { - 9} \right)\left( { - 576} \right)} }}{{2\left( { - 576} \right)}} \\
    \lambda = \frac{1}{8} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

this is the wrong answer i know, as the correct answer would result in [tex]\lambda[/tex] being equal to eight, however i do not know how to obtain this answer, any help is greatly appriciated, thanks. sorry for the many post lately but i have a test comeing up which i realy wish to do well in to prove the teacher that i can do her subject. thanks once again,
    Pavadrin

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2006 #2
    Check your working, it should be OK. The second last equation you quoted is right, but you didn't put the numbers in correctly.

Alternately, you can divide your quadratic by -9, then factorise it.

4. Sep 11, 2006 #3
    okay thanks for your help ill try that right now

5. Sep 11, 2006 #4
    hey that worked thanks~! i got the answer of 8 and -8. can i ask you why it didn't work when i used the quadratic formula? thanks

6. Sep 11, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

[tex]\lambda = \frac{{ - 144 \pm \sqrt {144^2 - 4\left( { - 9} \right)\left( { - 576} \right)} }}{{2\left( { - 9} \right)}}[/tex]
    One divided by 2c instead of 2a.

As Tomsk suggested, dividing through by -9 would have simplied the solution.

[tex]\lambda ^2 - 16\lambda + 64 = 0[/tex]

Two vectors are parallel if one is a multiple of the other, i.e.

a i + b j = [itex]\lambda[/itex]a i + [itex]\lambda[/itex]b j

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  7. Sep 11, 2006 #6
    oh i see thanks, i feel so stupid now :blushing:
    thanks once again,
    Pavadrin

8. Sep 11, 2006 #7

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

It would have been a lot simpler to use the fact that parallel vectors are multiples of each other from the start. You have:
    2xi + 3xj = yi + 12j
    3x = 12
    x = 4
    2x = y
    y = 8

9. Sep 12, 2006 #8
    okay thanks, i was thinking that perhaps there was an easier way of solving the question but it never quite clicked, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?