1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Vectors

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    Let a and b be non-zero parallel vectorsand let the points A,B,C and D be given by OA=a, OB=b, OC= 3a-b,OD = -a+2b

a) express the vectors AB,AC,AD,BC,BD and CD in terms of a and b.

b) Find, in terms of a and b, vectors from the origin to the midpoints of the line segments AB and CD.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) AB = b-a
    AC = (3a-b)-a = 2a-b
    AD = (-a+2b)-a = -2a+2b
    BC = (3a-b)-b = 3a-2b
    BD = (-a+2b)-b = -a+b
    (-a+2b)-(3a-b) = -4a+b

Hope it's right.

b) I don't know how to do question. I appreciate it if someone could give me some guidance and show me how to solve this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Let P be midpoint of the line AB. You have already found that AB = b-a, so what will AP be, knowing that AP is parallel to AB and that the magnitude of AP is half of the magnitude of AB?

Once you have found the vector from A to P, you should be able to find the vector from the origin to P, since you know the position vector of A.
  4. Aug 28, 2008 #3
    AB = AO + OB
    AB = -OA + OB
    AB = -a + b

CD = CO + OD
    CD = -OC + OD
    CD = -(3a-b) + (-a + 2b)
    CD = -3a + b -a + 2b
    CD = -4a + 3b

midpoint of AB = (-a + b)/2

midpoint of CD = (-4a + 3b)/2

Is that correct?
  5. Aug 29, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely you can't mean both of these! It has already been confirmed that AB= OB-OA, NOT AB= OB+OA.

Same thing. The second equation is true, not the first.

6. Aug 29, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way, I started to respond earlier but became terribly confused: your title says parallel vectors but your problem is about NON-parallel vectors!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?