• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Parallel Wires question

The diagram (see picture) depicts two long horizontal straight parallel wires that are a distance d=20.36cm apart and each carries a current of 3.25A in the same direction, out of the page. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point that is a perpendicular distance r=30.82cm from both wires?

While I have "attempted" this problem, i know my attempts are wrong. (having missed 2 days of classes due to illness, i am behind and my homework is due tomorrow). thanks for any help you can give.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

You'll have to show us where your attempts go wrong so we know where to help you. Do you know the result for the magnetic field from an infinite wire?

Last edited:
berkeman
Mentor
The diagram (see picture) depicts two long horizontal straight parallel wires that are a distance d=20.36cm apart and each carries a current of 3.25A in the same direction, out of the page. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point that is a perpendicular distance r=30.82cm from both wires?

While I have "attempted" this problem, i know my attempts are wrong. (having missed 2 days of classes due to illness, i am behind and my homework is due tomorrow). thanks for any help you can give.
Use the righthand rule to draw the B-fields for each wire. What directions do each field have at that point P? Draw the two vectors there, and add the two vectors in rectangular coordinates. Show us your work.

Welcome to the PF.