1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Wires question

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    The diagram (see picture) depicts two long horizontal straight parallel wires that are a distance d=20.36cm apart and each carries a current of 3.25A in the same direction, out of the page. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field at a point that is a perpendicular distance r=30.82cm from both wires?

While I have "attempted" this problem, i know my attempts are wrong. (having missed 2 days of classes due to illness, i am behind and my homework is due tomorrow). thanks for any help you can give.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    You'll have to show us where your attempts go wrong so we know where to help you. Do you know the result for the magnetic field from an infinite wire?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  4. Mar 8, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Use the righthand rule to draw the B-fields for each wire. What directions do each field have at that point P? Draw the two vectors there, and add the two vectors in rectangular coordinates. Show us your work.

Welcome to the PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook