How Do You Calculate Resultant Forces in a Parallelogram of Forces?

• Thread starter manich43
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the resultant forces shown as RF N and RF 1 in a diagram, and how to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. The suggested approach is to use the component method, where each force vector is broken down into its x and y components and then added together. This results in a parallelogram of forces, which can be simplified to a vector triangle. It is also noted that the parallelogram method and the vector triangle method are equivalent. The original poster thanks everyone for their help.
manich43
Can someone show me how to calculate the resultant forces shown as RF N and R F 1on the attachment please, in simple terms.

2.I need to work out the following..."Three forces applying to one point,find the resultant force" (magnitude and direction to horizontal line) R F1 and R F N

3.Any help greatly appreciated.

Mark

Attachments

• parallelagram.bmp
    96.1 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The approach that works best for me is the component approach.

What you have is a vector addition in x,y

So try taking each Force vector as

Fv1 = fx1 i + fy1 j
Fv2 = fx2 i + fy2 j
Fv3 = fx3 i + fy3 j

Then just add the i's and the j's and you have your resultant

F = (fx1+fx2+fx3) i + (fy1+fy2+fy3) j

Hi,
Dont really follow that.This is the first time i have seen a parallelogram of forces.Can you explain how I would find the resultant force in N for RF 1 and RF N on the diagram.

Many Thanks...Mark

Welcome to PF!

manich43 said:
This is the first time i have seen a parallelogram of forces.Can you explain how I would find the resultant force in N for RF 1 and RF N on the diagram.

Hi Mark! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Forces are vectors, so they obey the law of vector addition …

that means that to add two vectors, you slide one so that it starts where the other one ends

in other words, you make a vector triangle …

but it comes out the same if you start both of them from the same point, and make a parallelogram (as in your diagram) …

to convince yourself that they're the same, just try sliding one of the sides of the parallelogram along to the opposite side :wink:

Thanks to all who replied,problem solved!

Mark

What is a parallelogram of forces?

A parallelogram of forces is a graphical method used to determine the resultant of two or more forces acting on an object. It is based on the principle of vector addition, where the forces are represented by arrows with length and direction.

What is the purpose of a parallelogram of forces?

The purpose of a parallelogram of forces is to find the resultant force and its direction when two or more forces act on an object. This method is useful in engineering, physics, and other fields where the analysis of forces is necessary.

How do you construct a parallelogram of forces?

To construct a parallelogram of forces, you need to draw the given forces as arrows in the same direction and scale. Then, draw a parallelogram using the tip of the first force as one vertex and the tip of the second force as the opposite vertex. The diagonal of the parallelogram starting from the common vertex represents the resultant force.

What is the resultant force in a parallelogram of forces?

The resultant force in a parallelogram of forces is the single force that has the same effect as all the given forces acting on an object. It is represented by the diagonal of the parallelogram, and its magnitude and direction can be calculated using trigonometric functions.

What are the limitations of a parallelogram of forces?

A parallelogram of forces assumes that all forces are acting on the same plane. It also does not take into account the effects of friction, air resistance, and other external forces. Additionally, it is not suitable for calculating forces in three-dimensional systems.