1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallell magnetic wires

1. Jul 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two parallel conducting wires along the direction of the z axis as shown below. Wire 1 crosses the x-axis at x = -1.80 cm and carries a current of 2.60 A out of the xy-plane of the page. Wire 2 (right) crosses the x axis at x = 1.80 cm and carries a current of 8.80 A into the xy plane.
    At which value of x is the magnetic field zero? (Hint: Careful with sign)
    [​IMG]
    2. Relevant equations

[tex] B = \frac{ \mu I}{2 \pi r} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since i know that the point im looking for will be to the left of -1.80 cm on the x-axis, i should be able to deduce a distance from that point using:

[tex] \frac{2.6}{d} = \frac{8.8}{d + 3.6} [/tex]

I found d to be 4.2871. I added this to 1.8 meaning the point it at -6.09 cm on the x axis, which is incorrect. Is my math wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2008 #2
    edit: actially, i found d to be 1.50967 and the point on the x axis to be -3.3096 cm. This makes sense, but im kind of afraid to try it since i only have one more attempt at the problem. Any confirmations?

4. Jul 7, 2008 #3
    nevermind. I checked my answers with the formual for magnetic field, and it was correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?