At Which Value of x is the Magnetic Field Zero?

In summary, two parallel conducting wires along the z-axis have a magnetic field that is zero at -3.3096 cm on the x-axis. This is found by using the equation B = \frac{ \mu I}{2 \pi r} and solving for the distance from the point where one wire crosses the x-axis. The solution is found to be -3.3096 cm, which is confirmed by using the magnetic field formula.
K3nt70

Homework Statement

Consider two parallel conducting wires along the direction of the z axis as shown below. Wire 1 crosses the x-axis at x = -1.80 cm and carries a current of 2.60 A out of the xy-plane of the page. Wire 2 (right) crosses the x-axis at x = 1.80 cm and carries a current of 8.80 A into the xy plane.
At which value of x is the magnetic field zero? (Hint: Careful with sign)
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6758/14937203wx9.png

Homework Equations

[tex] B = \frac{ \mu I}{2 \pi r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since i know that the point I am looking for will be to the left of -1.80 cm on the x-axis, i should be able to deduce a distance from that point using:

[tex] \frac{2.6}{d} = \frac{8.8}{d + 3.6} [/tex]

I found d to be 4.2871. I added this to 1.8 meaning the point it at -6.09 cm on the x axis, which is incorrect. Is my math wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
edit: actially, i found d to be 1.50967 and the point on the x-axis to be -3.3096 cm. This makes sense, but I am kind of afraid to try it since i only have one more attempt at the problem. Any confirmations?

nevermind. I checked my answers with the formual for magnetic field, and it was correct.

What is the purpose of parallel magnetic wires?

The purpose of parallel magnetic wires is to create a strong magnetic field that can be used for various applications such as data storage, motors, and sensors.

How are parallel magnetic wires made?

Parallel magnetic wires are typically made by depositing a layer of magnetic material onto a substrate, and then etching it into thin wires using a photolithography process.

What are the advantages of using parallel magnetic wires?

Some advantages of using parallel magnetic wires include their small size, low power consumption, and the ability to manipulate their magnetic properties through external fields, making them useful in various electronic and biomedical applications.

What factors affect the magnetic properties of parallel magnetic wires?

The magnetic properties of parallel magnetic wires can be affected by factors such as their composition, size, shape, and the presence of any external magnetic fields.

What are some potential applications of parallel magnetic wires?

Parallel magnetic wires have potential applications in data storage, sensors, actuators, and biomedical devices. They can also be used in research for studying magnetic phenomena at the nanoscale.