1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallell plates

1. Jul 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two parallell plates, they are separated a distance of 1 cm. The potential difference is 10kV. A 0.5 cm thick plastic plate lies between the two plates and has a relative permitivitty of 6. Calcualte E and D in the air and in the plastic plate.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

D is the same for air and the plastic plate

The electric field without the plastic plate is [tex] E = \frac{p_s}{e_o} [/tex] and [tex] D = p_s [/tex] but [tex] E = \frac{V}{d} [/tex] that means that [tex] P_s = \frac{V*e_o}{d} = D [/tex] but thats not the right answer for D.

I get D = 8.85e-6 but it should be 1.5e-5
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2008 #2
    You can treat this as two capacitors in series: one for the air part and one for the plastic part.

4. Jul 31, 2008 #3
    hmm ok..but how do I start whit the calculations then? and isnt it possible to calculate the electric flux D and go from there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?