Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallelogram in 3D space

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    I wasn't sure what category to put this in, but here's my problem.

There is a parallelogram with 3 given points for its corners (each with 3 different coordinates). The idea is to find the forth point. I've tried subbing (x,y,z) for the unknown point, and creating 4 vectors. I tried equating the cross product of two opposite vectors to zero as well as absolute value of opposite vectors to each other. This left me with alot of algebra after I combined both methods and then cheated to get a decimal answer which I'm not even sure is correct. Is there an easier way to do this problem that I'm missing? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2
    What was the geometric motivation for adding vectors in the manner that we do ?

4. Sep 19, 2005 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Given three points, there are three possible solutions to you problem, depending on which point is the "middle" point. Let the three points be A,B,C and let A be the "middle". The the fourth point is given by A+(B-A)+(C-A)=B+C-A.

5. Sep 20, 2005 #4
    hmm.. that sounds much easier. Well say there are three points A,B,C and point D is diagonally opposite A, does that mean that D is the point that does not connect to A? Thanks for the help by the way.

That also gave me another similar idea. Shouldn't A + B + C + D = 0, and therefore the components of each should sum to zero?

EDIT: just realized that that's what you did :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  6. Sep 20, 2005 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A+D=B+C is the result I have where A is opposite D.

One easy way to see it is by considering the point H at the center of the parallelogram.

H=(A+D)/2
    H=(B+C)/2

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?