Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Writing: Input Wanted Paralyzed by pain, possible?

1. Sep 26, 2016 #1
    I have been editing my Kepler Bb story and after Robin gets a nasty stomach bug that causes projectile vomiting and thus abdominal muscle soreness he has this pain all over his body.

The stomach bug lasts for 5 days and it is an unknown pathogen(Possibly a super version of salmonella since he was handling eggs)

The pain is so great that he can't get up. Even breathing is painful.

It seems that whatever he was infected with not only caused projectile vomiting but also sent a myotoxin all over via his bloodstream to cause this paralyzing pain.

Now I looked up "pain paralysis" and all I got was "Pain does not cause paralysis. They are 2 separate phenomena that have no relationship whatsoever."

But this super stomach bug Robin had seems to be enough to prove wrong that pain never causes paralysis. And I am sure that there are people who can't get up or have difficulty getting up because of pain. I once got a bruised tailbone. It lasted for several weeks. The first few were extremely painful. During that time, I slept every night on my stomach to avoid pain. And every time I was getting up or sitting down I did it slowly and often leaning forward so that I could minimize pain. The last few weeks were painful still but not cringing pain like before. Anyway, yeah I had trouble getting up and sitting down due to pain and pain alone.

So is it possible to be almost completely paralyzed(practically only breathing and even then, shallow to minimize pain) due to an all over bodyache?

And how would Robin tell Grandma that he is in extreme pain and needs pain relief now while minimizing his pain? Or would Grandma just know from the look of him that he is in a lot of pain?

Here is the scene in question:

Now here, Robin is 5 years old and I looked up morphine in children and it is fine to use for extreme pain. Morphine used to relieve extreme pain doesn't have all the addiction side effects that morphine used for any pain does.

So would Grandma know Robin was in extreme pain just from the look of him as I have written in this scene or not?

Would she really use morphine right off the bat for paralyzing pain instead of step by step pain relief(so maybe acetaminophen first then naproxen(extra strength ibuprofen) then morphine)?

Would she know something is wrong if Robin is late for breakfast?

Would she have to be very delicate in her injection when Robin is already paralyzed from pain? I mean I know you don't want to inject into an artery by mistake since that causes severe bleeding(gushing, likely to die(platelets just can't repair an arterial bleed fast enough to stop it)) but do you have to be very delicate to avoid an artery?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2
    ok you have a lot well just wrong with your scene but i'll just give you a few tips on pain. I have chronic abdominal pain so much so i'm disabled due to my crohn's. When pain gets to the point that you talking about you do not become paralyzed. Most go into a fetal position (ball like) you start a cold sweet and your skin sometimes goes flush if the pain is bad enough you can get "vibritration sensitive" to the point you can feel someone walk across the floor in the room you're in even when you're in bed. The type of pain you're talking about also does not affect your breathing at all but movment of your body does. Myself I have passed out from abdominal pain. Also getting a painkiller injection can go into any muscle. The butt is a favorite cause it so big. As a side note no one but no one has morphine on hand in their home no matter what era you're in. On top of that morphine will lower your rate of breathing so if he was having trouble breathing you might not want to give him something that would make it even harder

i hope this helps some what if you want more first hand info about pain just drop me a note

4. Sep 26, 2016 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So much of your Kepler Bb story is so far from science that it's pure fantasy. Indeed, your "humans" are nothing of the sort - they have two stomachs for heaven's sake! Why worry about how humans feel pain when they aren't the species in your story, and when the rest of the setting is inconsistent with science as we know it?

These threads follow a predictable pattern. You ask us if something is scientifically correct. We say it isn't. We go back and forth for a while, and then you say that it's your story so you're going to do it anyway. Fair enough - but why did you come here to begin with?

And, just to satisfy my own curiosity, have you ever sold a story?

5. Sep 26, 2016 #4
    wait:oldconfused: what:oldconfused: hold up:oldconfused: did i miss something???:olduhh:

6. Sep 26, 2016 #5
    But it is important that it goes to all muscles since the muscles are what were injured by the toxins from the pathogen that was in his system and if all muscles are hurting, it is very hard to move due to pain. And why wouldn't breathing be affected? The intercostal muscles and diaphragm that make our lungs able to inflate with air are under our control(we can consciously lower or raise our respiratory rate). If those muscles are injured then there will be problems in the lungs since they will not inflate as much as they need to. Lungs not inflating as much naturally leads to high RR(respiratory rate) to prevent hypoventilation. The pain will lead to the breath being shallower, lung problem or not.

I have never passed out from pain, even when it was at it's worst(injured tailbone). Why would someone go into fetal position due to pain? I mean when I have pain I either try to minimize it(like sleeping on my stomach if my tailbone hurts) or if it is abdominal pain, I put my arm over my abdomen. But I never get into fetal position.

7. Sep 26, 2016 #6
    when you get the flu shot in a muscle do you really believe it so that one muscles will not get sick lol well morphine works the same way look it up if you do not believe me the pain killer does not stay in the muscle for long at all and spreads out throw the whole body much faster then most think
    well you obviously have never been in too much pain at all then explachy abdomen pain if you can not take the first hand experience from someone that is disabled from daily chronic abdominal pain and believe that it truthful then i can't help you and i do not believe anyone else can eather

8. Sep 26, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And now we're going down the usual path.

Hsdrop, yes, two stomachs. If it hasn't been titled yet, I'd like to offer "Heather Has Two Tummies".

9. Sep 27, 2016 #8
    Ruptured appendix back in '88. Amazingly painful, but not paralyzing. It did render me hepless, extreme effort needed get and dial phone by my bed. Other than the lack of total loss of muscle control, it would have passed for paralysis. The medics had to read my lips to get answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted