Paramagnetism of negative O2 ion

In summary, (O2)-, the negatively charged O2 ion, is still considered paramagnetic due to its one unpaired electron. However, its paramagnetism is weaker compared to O2 due to the presence of an additional electron. There is limited information on the behavior of ions in this regard, but it is confirmed that (O2)- exhibits paramagnetism.
Gnorrell
O2 has two unpaired electrons, therefore it's quite strong paramagnetism.

But what about (O2)-, the negatively charged O2 ion?

Am I right in assuming that due to the additional electron one unpaired electron will get together with it, so that overall it should still be paramagnetic, but not so strong anymore?

Or does the additional electron behave somehow differently and doesn't change the paramagnetism, or even increases it?
It couldn't find much info about the behavior of ions in this relation, so I would be grateful for any explanation in this direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, in the meantime I did find out (after a thorough search on the net), that (O2)- is really paramagnetic, and that it really just has one unpaired electron. So it is paramagnetic, but less than O2. This is what I guessed, but now I know...

1. What is paramagnetism?

Paramagnetism is a phenomenon where certain materials are weakly attracted to magnetic fields. This attraction is a result of unpaired electrons in the material, which align with the external magnetic field, causing a weak magnetic moment.

2. What is a negative O2 ion?

A negative O2 ion is an oxygen molecule that has gained two extra electrons, resulting in a net negative charge. This can occur through various chemical reactions or ionization processes.

3. How does paramagnetism occur in negative O2 ions?

In negative O2 ions, the two extra electrons create unpaired electrons, leading to a weak magnetic moment. This causes the ions to be attracted to magnetic fields, exhibiting paramagnetism.

4. What are the applications of paramagnetism of negative O2 ions?

The paramagnetism of negative O2 ions has various applications in industries such as chemical synthesis, catalysis, and environmental remediation. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. Can paramagnetism of negative O2 ions be controlled?

Yes, the paramagnetism of negative O2 ions can be controlled by adjusting the external magnetic field strength or by altering the electron configuration of the ions through chemical reactions. This allows for precise manipulation and utilization of these ions in various applications.