Paramaterizing a Curve: Understand Motion w/ Exponential Speed

• Thread starter fleazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the speaker discusses the concept of parametric equations and how they can be used to represent the motion of a particle on a straight line with exponential speed. They provide a simple algorithmic process for parameterizing the curve and demonstrate how to find the velocity and location of the particle at any given time.
fleazo
Hello. I had always been annoyed when dealing with parametric equations but it finally dawned on me how awesome the concept it. I want to make sure I understand things properly.

So say I have a regular straight line given by rectangular equation y=2x+1

Now I can graph this. Now say I want to consider a particle moving in motion along the path of that line. But say I want that particle to move with exponential speed, say e^t, so shouldn't I then be able to paramaterize the curve to represent that? Is there any simple algorithmic process to do so?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, it's a simple procedure for straight lines. Your particle's velocity vector will be in line with the vector ##(1, 2)##, and will have a magnitude of ##e^t##. The normalization of ##(1, 2)## is ##(\frac{1}{\sqrt 5}, \frac{2}{\sqrt 5})##. The equation for your velocity vector will thus be $$\begin{align}v_x(t) &= \frac{e^t}{\sqrt 5}\\ \\ \\ \\ v_y(t) &= \frac{2e^t}{\sqrt 5}\end{align}$$

You integrate to get your curve (or in this case "line") parameterization, which in this case comes out identical to the velocity because of the nature of the exponential function: $$\begin{align}r_x(t) &= \frac{e^t}{\sqrt 5}\\ \\ \\ \\ r_y(t) &= \frac{2e^t}{\sqrt 5}\end{align}$$

Then you throw in a constant of integration to represent the fact that your particle doesn't go through the origin. We'll say that at ##t=0## the particle is at location ##(0, 1)##, so the equations become $$\begin{align}r_x(t) &= \frac{e^t}{\sqrt 5}\\ \\ \\ \\ r_y(t) &= 1 + \frac{2e^t}{\sqrt 5}\end{align}$$

If you differentiate those ##r_x## and ##r_y## functions you get the velocity functions. And if you take those and pop them into ##\sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}## you ought to get ##e^t##; that is, unless I made a mistake somewhere, because actually I rushed while writing this. Gota run!

1. What is the purpose of parameterizing a curve?

Parameterizing a curve allows us to describe the motion of a point on the curve by using a single variable, typically time. This allows us to understand the behavior of the curve in terms of this variable and make predictions about its movement.

2. How is exponential speed related to parameterizing a curve?

Exponential speed refers to a rate of change in which the value increases or decreases at an exponential rate. When parameterizing a curve, we can use this concept to describe how the position of a point on the curve changes over time, resulting in an exponential speed.

3. Can any curve be parameterized?

Yes, any curve can be parameterized. This means that we can describe the motion of any point on the curve using a single variable, such as time. However, the complexity of the parameterization may vary depending on the curve.

4. How does understanding motion with exponential speed help in scientific research?

Understanding motion with exponential speed can help in various scientific research areas, such as physics, biology, and economics. By parameterizing a curve and analyzing its exponential speed, we can make predictions and better understand the behavior of various systems and processes.

5. Are there any limitations to parameterizing a curve with exponential speed?

While parameterizing a curve with exponential speed can be a useful tool, it may not always accurately describe the behavior of a system. For example, in some cases, the speed may not follow an exponential pattern, and other factors may need to be considered for a more accurate analysis.