Paramatrize a peicewise function?

• Thread starter 600burger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to parametrize a piecewise function, specifically one that defines a line segment and another that defines a circular arc. The first method suggested is to find an ordinary expression for the line and use it to get an expression for x. The second method, more commonly used, is to identify each point on the line in terms of a variable in the range [0,1]. For the circular arc, the parametrization is given as y(t) = cos t and z(t) = sin t, with a restriction of 3≤t≤4 to ensure that the parametrization lies on the arc. The conversation also discusses a piece of the piecewise function that begins at (3
600burger
Can someone hepl me find a "formual" way to paramatrize a peicewise function? Up till now I've been doing it with guess and check and am now stuck on the last part.

The line goes from (1,3) to (0,0)
So far I have

[itex]
7 \leq t \leq 10
[/itex]

[itex]
y(t) = 10 - t
[/itex]

and am stuck on find a function for [itex]x(t)[/itex]

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
One way is to find an ordinary expression for the line, something of the form y = mx+b, then use your known expression for y to get an expression for x.

However, a more common way to parametrize lines is to identify each point in terms of the "proportion" from the first to the last point.

That is, you put your variable in the range [0, 1], then the corresponding point on the line segment AB is given by:

P = (1 - t) A + t B

Brilliant!

I don't know why that eluded me...

-Burg

So now in 3-Space,

The line goes from (0,1,0) to (0,0,1) on the function [itex] y^2+z^2 = 1[/itex]

i have [itex]x(t) = 0 [/itex] which is obvious, but how do i find the other two, [itex] y(t) [/itex] and [itex] z(t)[/itex]

i can't sovle a system like i did with the last one, and since its not linear, I am not sure if that second method works either. Unfourtunetlly my book is lacking in 3-space examples...

-Thanks!

Can you reduce it to a 2-space problem?

I could "pretend". But since both y and z are changing I'm have trouble seeing what one would be to sub in for the other. Any hints on where to start?

-Burg

You should already be familiar with a parametrization of an equation of the form [itex]p^2 + q^2 = 1[/itex]... do you recognize the geometric object it defines?

I just got it, after i posted that last one. It's a circile (duh, brain fart) so i use y(t)= cos t and z(t) = sin t. But there was a piece right before it, so [itex] 3 \leq t \leq [/itex]? So does that mean

[itex] y(t) = cos ((t-3)\frac{\pi}{2} )
[/itex]
[itex]z(t) = sin ((t-3)\frac{\pi}{2} )[/itex]
[itex]3 \leq t \leq 4
[/itex]?

Last edited:
If that parametrization lies on the circular arc, and begins and ends in the right place, then it's good!

I'm not sure what you mean by "a piece right before it" -- I guess you're talking about another part of the problem you've already solved.

Ya, there was another piece of the piecewise goes from (3,0,0) so [itex] 0 \leq t \leq 3 [/itex] then the next piece (this one) starts at 3. I guess i could just start at 0 for each one, but this is how our prof tought it, and probablly how he wants to see it done.

Thanks for the help! Final's on monday!

The way you did it is right -- you wouldn't have a very well defined parametrization if it takes t=0 to two different points!

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different rules or equations for different intervals or pieces of the domain.

2. How do you parametrize a piecewise function?

To parametrize a piecewise function, you need to define separate equations for each piece of the function's domain and use a conditional statement to determine which equation to use for a given input.

3. Why would you need to parametrize a piecewise function?

Parametrizing a piecewise function allows you to simplify complex functions by breaking them down into smaller, manageable pieces. It also makes it easier to analyze and graph the function.

4. Can you give an example of a piecewise function?

One example of a piecewise function is the absolute value function, which is defined as f(x) = x for x ≥ 0 and f(x) = -x for x < 0. This function has different rules for the positive and negative parts of the domain.

5. How do you graph a piecewise function?

To graph a piecewise function, you can plot points for each piece of the function's domain and connect them with lines or curves. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to graph the function automatically.