Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paramet. eqn. of traject. w/ s&w gravity

1. Aug 7, 2005 #1
    hello all.
    Im a bit stuck on a math problem. I am trying to figure out what the parametric equations of a trajectory with a gravitational force pulling west and south. My first questions are should the t variable be squared and the gravity multiplied by .5 in:
    x=(v(o)cos(angle))t-.5gt2
    I think this because its counterpart, y, has this.

would it also go something like:
    distance=x= [((v(0)^2)sin(2*angle)]/ [g(w)*g(s)]
    where g(w) represents gravity pulling west, and g(s) for gravity south. What i question in this is is g(w) is multiplied by g(s). i think this is correct but i would really appreciate a confirmation from a math wiz (the people on this site). Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is there a reason for doing such a thing? Yes, you can set up a coordinate system so that gravity is pulling "west and south", that is, at an angle to you NS, EW coordinate axes, but it makes things a lot harder! In fact that's why we HAVE "up" and "down". It's so much easier to have gravity pulling in the direction of one axis that we tend to THINK that way!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?