1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametars B and D of line

1. May 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For which B and D the line [tex]\left\{\begin{matrix}
    x-2y+z-9=0 & \\
    3x+By+z+D=0 &
    \end{matrix}\right.[/tex] is in xy-plane ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the line:

[tex]\frac{x-\frac{-D+9}{2}}{2-B}=\frac{y}{2}=\frac{z-\frac{D+27}{2}}{B+6}[/tex]

What should I do next?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Physicsissuef! :smile:

Hint: you want z to be constant, but you don't want y to be constant.

So … ? :smile:

4. May 16, 2008 #3
    If it is in the xy-plane probably B+6=0.

5. May 16, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But how do you stop y being infinite, then? :smile:

6. May 16, 2008 #5
    A point in xy plane have coordinates (x,y,0). A line in xy plane probably have [itex]a(a_1,a_2,0)[/itex]. a is parallel vector to the line, in this case [itex]a(2-B , 2 , B+6)[/itex]. And I don't understand you what are you talking to me... :smile:

7. May 16, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think you are putting far too much emphasis on plugging into formulas rather that thinking about what the problem says. In the xy plane, z is not just constant- it is specifically 0. If z= 0 then your equations become 3x- 2y- 9= 0 and 3x+ By+ D= 0. In the xy plane, those are each the equation of a line. For what B and D are those the same line?

8. May 16, 2008 #7
    B=-6 and D=-27. But why they need to be same?

9. May 16, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Reread your original question! The equations represent a single line.

10. May 16, 2008 #9
    Ohh.... I see, thanks. And is it correct that "a" should have coordinates [itex]a_1,a_2,0[/itex]?

11. May 16, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was referring to the fact that your equation y/2 = (z - (D+27)/2)/(B + 6) seems to make y fixed and infinite if B + 6 = 0, while you want y to be able to take any value. :smile:
    Well, yes, the line is parallel to a line through the origin with (a_1,a_2,0).

But you're concentrating too much on formulas, as HallsofIvy said.

btw, his method is a lot easier than the one you chose … if you do that in the exam, the examiner wil get the impression you're using the formula without really understanding it.

12. May 16, 2008 #11
    Hehe... I used the formula because I was desperate, I forgot that z=0. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?