Parameterizing the Tangent Line of Intersection Curve at a Given Point

• Thread starter quietrain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the conversation discussed finding parametric equations for the tangent line to the intersection curve of the surfaces x2 + y2 + x + z = 1 and z - x + 2 = 0 at the point (1, 0, -1). Two different methods were used, one involving parameterizing the curve and the other using the cross product of the gradient vectors. The final answer was found to be x=1, y=2t, z=-1. It was also noted that the first method was not valid at the point (1, 0, -1) due to the negative power in the square root.
quietrain

Homework Statement

Consider the curve of intersection of the surface x2 + y2 + x + z = 1 and
the plane z - x + 2 = 0. Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the intersection curve at the point (1; 0;-1).

The Attempt at a Solution

i solve for intersection curve by getting rid of z

i get 1-x2-y2-x = x-2
3-y2 = x2+2x
-y2 = x2+2x-3

let x = t to parameterize

so r(t) = [t , sqrt(-t2-2t+3) , t-2]

r'(t) = (1 , 0.5(-t2-2t+3)-0.5(-2t-2) , 1)

at point (1,0,-1) my t = 1

therefore r'(t) = (1 , 0 , 1) this is a vector parallel to the line right?

therefore the line parameterization at (1,0,-1) is

x = 1 + t
y = 0
z = -1 + t

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
somethings wrong... i solve it using a different method and got a diff ans :(

∇f = (2x+1, 2y , 1)
∇g = (-1 , 0, 1)

∇f(1,0,-1) = (3,0,1)
∇g(1,0,-1) = (-1,0,1)

so ∇f x ∇g gives me a vector parallel to the line at (1,0,-1) right?
so ∇f x ∇g = 0i -4j + 0k

so parameterized line is
x = 1
y= -4t
z = -1

? which is totally different from my 1st post answer

btw, the given answer is neither of these 2 answers :(...

the answer is x=1, y=2t, z=-1

does anyone know what went wrong?

thanks

quietrain said:

Homework Statement

Consider the curve of intersection of the surface x2 + y2 + x + z = 1 and
the plane z - x + 2 = 0. Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the intersection curve at the point (1; 0;-1).

The Attempt at a Solution

i solve for intersection curve by getting rid of z

i get 1-x2-y2-x = x-2
3-y2 = x2+2x
-y2 = x2+2x-3

let x = t to parameterize
That will work for a single point but doesn't actually give a paremeterization for the entire curve- y is not a function of x. You took only the positive square root and so get only part of the curve. What I would have done was complete the square- [itex]x^2+ 2x+ 1+ y^2= 4[/itex] so [itex](x+ 1)^2+ y^2= 2^2[/itex] so the curve projectts down to a circle in the xy-plane with center at (-1, 0) and radius 2. Use the standard sine and cosine parameterization of such a circle for x and y and then use z= x- 2 to get the parameterization for z. However, since (1, 0, -1) is in the part of the curve your parameterization gives, your method almost works.

so r(t) = [t , sqrt(-t2-2t+3) , t-2]

r'(t) = (1 , 0.5(-t2-2t+3)-0.5(-2t-2) , 1)

at point (1,0,-1) my t = 1

therefore r'(t) = (1 , 0 , 1) this is a vector parallel to the line right?
Are you ready for this? At t= 1, [itex](-t^2- 2t+ 3)^{1/2}= 0[/itex] but you have the negative 1/2 power. That is not 0, it "blows up" to infinity. This particular parameterization does not work at this particular point!

therefore the line parameterization at (1,0,-1) is

x = 1 + t
y = 0
z = -1 + t

is this correct?

quietrain said:
somethings wrong... i solve it using a different method and got a diff ans :(

∇f = (2x+1, 2y , 1)
∇g = (-1 , 0, 1)

∇f(1,0,-1) = (3,0,1)
∇g(1,0,-1) = (-1,0,1)

so ∇f x ∇g gives me a vector parallel to the line at (1,0,-1) right?

so parameterized line is
x = 1
y= -4t
z = -1

? which is totally different from my 1st post answer

btw, the given answer is neither of these 2 answers :(...

the answer is x=1, y=2t, z=-1

does anyone know what went wrong?

thanks
Yes, that works. However, one line may have many different parameterizations. For example, the first method above, using the parameterization [itex]x= 2cos(\theta)- 1[/itex], [itex]y= 2sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]z= 2cos(\theta)- 3[/itex] gives derivatives [itex]x= -2sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y'= 2 cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]z'= -2sin(\theta)[/itex] and, at [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] (which gives the point (1, 0, -1)) [itex]x'= 0[/itex], [itex]y'= 2[/itex], [itex]z'= 0[/itex] which gives the parameterization x= 1, y= 2s, z= -1 (as in your answer key) which is exactly the same line as x= 1, y= 4t, z= -1 except that my s is equal to 2 times your t. This line is simply the line parallel to the y-axis with x= 1, z= -1 at every point and x= 1, y= f(t), z= -1 is a parameterization for every monotone function f(t).

Last edited by a moderator:
ah... so my prof purposely set it at 0 to blow up my method :(

thanks!

1. How is a line parameterized?

A line can be parameterized by using a vector equation, where the position of any point on the line can be represented by a vector function of a single variable.

2. Why is it useful to parameterize a line?

Parameterizing a line allows us to easily calculate points on the line and to determine the direction of the line. It also makes it easier to perform calculations and solve equations involving the line.

3. What is the difference between a parameterized line and a non-parameterized line?

A parameterized line is represented by a vector equation using a single variable, while a non-parameterized line is represented by a standard equation using x and y coordinates.

4. Can any line be parameterized?

Yes, any line in a 2-dimensional space can be parameterized using a vector equation. However, some lines may be easier to parameterize than others.

5. How does parameterization of a line relate to calculus?

Parameterization of a line is important in calculus as it allows us to calculate derivatives and integrals of functions involving the line. It also helps us to find the tangent line to a curve at a specific point.