1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parameterizing the curve

1. Dec 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate ##\int_C z^{1/3} dz##, where ##C## is the circle of radius ##1## centered at the origin oriented in the clockwise direction. Use the branch ##0 \le \arg z \le 2 \pi## to define ##z^{1/3}##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was hoping that someone could verify my work.

Parameterizing the curve: ##z(t) = e^{-it}##, ##0 \le t \le 2 \pi##.

##\int_C z^{1/3} dz = \lim_{a \rightarrow 0}_{b \rightarrow 2 \pi} \int_a^b (e^{-it})^{1/3}(-ie^{-it}) dt \iff##

##\int_C z^{1/3} dz = \lim_{a \rightarrow 0}_{b \rightarrow 2 \pi} -i \int_a^b e^{-i \frac{4}{3}t} dt \iff##

##\int_C z^{1/3} dz =\lim_{a \rightarrow 0}_{b \rightarrow 2 \pi} (-i)(i \frac{3}{4}) [e^{-i \frac{4}{3} t}|_a^b \iff##

##\int_C z^{1/3} dz = \frac{3}{4} \lim_{a \rightarrow 0}_{b \rightarrow 2 \pi} [e^{- \frac{4}{3} (b)} - e^{-i \frac{4}{3} (a)}]##

Taking the limits,

##\int_C z^{1/3} dz = \frac{3}{4} [e^{-i \frac{8}{3}} - 1]##

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You dropped something in the final step.

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

On the contour, you should have ##z^{1/3} = e^{i\theta/3}## where ##0 \le \theta \le 2\pi##. The parametrization you used doesn't give that.

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

That was my thought too, but isn't C oriented in the clockwise direction (as opposed to the usual anti-clockwise convention)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted