What Does the Separation of Parameters in Pauli Matrices Notation Mean?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Pauli matrices and their multiplication rules, particularly the expression for the operation of two matrices \sigma_{ab} and \sigma_{a'b'}. The conversation also mentions an explicit formula for the value of \tilde {w}, which is equal to ab + a'b' - (a \oplus a')(b \oplus b') + 2a' b \text{ mod } 4. The conversation also raises a question about the notation used for the parameters of \tilde {w}, specifically why it is separated by ; instead of an ordinary ,.
flybyme
Hello,

While reading up some about the Pauli matrices (which the author indexes by [itex] \sigma_{00}, \sigma_{01}, \sigma_{10}, \sigma_{11}[/itex]) I stumbled across an expression for the multiplication rules:

[itex]
\sigma_{ab} \sigma_{a'b'} = i^{\tilde {w} ( a, b ; a', b' ) } \sigma_{a \oplus a', b \oplus b'}
[/itex]

where [itex] \tilde {w} (a, b ; a', b') \in \mathbb{Z}_4 [/itex].

Later an explicit formula for [itex] \tilde {w} [/itex] is given, and it is equal to [itex] ab + a'b' - (a \oplus a')(b \oplus b') + 2a' b \text{ mod } 4 [/itex], which apparently is the same thing as [itex] a^2 b^2 + (a')^2 (b')^2 - (a + a')^2 (b + b')^2 + 2a'b [/itex].

Anyway, what I got to understand first of all, is what it means by having the two last parameters for [itex] \tilde {w} [/itex] separated by [itex];[/itex] instead of an ordinary [itex],[/itex].

That is: why [itex]\tilde{w}(a, b ; a', b')[/itex] instead of [itex]\tidle{w}(a, b, a', b')[/itex]?

(Excuse me for the non-existant TeX markup btw, I couldn't seem to find any info about it in the post form.)

Edit: Updated the post with marked up equations, thanks for the pointer.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Guess it is just semantics...

1. What are parameters in scientific research?

Parameters are variables that are used to define and measure the characteristics of a system or phenomenon being studied. They can be physical, such as temperature or pressure, or abstract, such as attitudes or behaviors.

2. How are parameters different from variables?

Parameters are specific, measurable values that are used to describe a system or phenomenon, while variables are factors that can change and affect the outcome of an experiment or study. Parameters are often used to define the boundaries of a study, while variables are manipulated or measured within those boundaries.

3. What is the purpose of using notation in scientific research?

Notation is a standardized system of symbols and abbreviations used to represent variables, parameters, and mathematical relationships in scientific research. It allows for clear and concise communication of complex ideas and data among scientists and ensures consistency and accuracy in reporting.

4. How do scientists determine the values of parameters?

The values of parameters are determined through careful measurement, observation, and experimentation. Scientists may also use mathematical models and simulations to estimate or predict parameter values based on existing data and theories.

5. Can parameters change over time?

Yes, parameters can change over time depending on the system or phenomenon being studied. For example, the temperature of a chemical reaction may increase or decrease as the reaction progresses, leading to a change in the parameter value. It is important for scientists to consider the potential variability of parameters when designing and conducting their research.