1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Arclength

1. Aug 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the arc length of a curve given parametrically from t = 0 to t = 1.
    Curve given by x = 4t^2, y = 2t

2. Relevant equations

[I think] parametric arclength =
    integral from t = b to t = a of sqrt( (dx/dt)^2 + (dy/dt)^2)dt

3. The attempt at a solution

dx/dt = 8t, and dy/dt = 2
    Then I did S from 0 to 1 of sqrt((8t)^2) + (2)^2)dt

I then drew a triangle for trigonometric substitution, with the tangent case.
    Let t = (1/4)tan(σ)
    Let dt = (1/4)sec^2(σ) dσ
    Let sqrt(64t^2 + 4) = 4sec(σ)
    Then S[ sqrt( (8t)^2 + (2)^2) ]dt becomes
    S of 4sec(σ) * (1/4)sec^2(σ) dσ
    which equals S[ sec^3(σ) ] dσ

Now I solved that with integration by parts, letting u = sec(σ), and dv = sec^2(σ)
    so that du = sec(σ)tan(σ)dσ and v = tan(σ)
    now S[ sec^3(σ) ]dσ = sec(σ)tan(σ) - S[ tan^3(σ)sec(σ) ]dσ

that last little integral = S[ tan^3(σ)sec(σ) ]dσ = S[ ((sec^2(σ) - 1)*sec(σ)tan(σ)]dσ]
    =(1/3)sec^3(σ) - sec(σ)
    so the entire S[ sec^3(σ) ]dσ = sec(σ)tan(σ) - (1/3)sec^3(σ) + sec(σ)
    so (4/3)S = sec(σ) + sec(σ)*tan(σ)
    so S = (3/4)[sec(σ)tan(σ) + sec(σ)]

Now I'm replacing this value with the value given by my triangle for sec(σ) and tan(σ)
    so that S = (3/4)[sqrt(64t^2 + 4)*4t + sqrt(64t^2 + 4)] evaluated from t = 0 to t = 1
    which would be
    (3)sqrt(68) + (3/4)sqrt(68)
    minus
    (6/4) + 2
    =
    (15/4)sqrt(68) - (14/4) as my final answer.

Could someone please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong? Maybe if I'm going about this entirely the wrong way? Unfortunately I don't even know the right answer, but even if I can't get the right answer, as long as I understand how to get there, I feel okay.

I would really appreciate it, and I'm sorry about the typing, I'm not very good at typing these problems out. So much thanks,
    Sassy

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's correct.

3. The attempt at a solution

dx/dt = 8t, and dy/dt = 2
    Then I did S from 0 to 1 of sqrt((8t)^2) + (2)^2)dt

I then drew a triangle for trigonometric substitution, with the tangent case.
    Let t = (1/4)tan(σ)

Let dt = (1/4)sec^2(σ) dσ[/quote]
    No big deal but I wouldn't use the word "let" here. You already said "let t= (1/4)tan(σ) and then dt= (1/4)sec^2(σ) follows from that.

Same point

How did you get this? with [itex]du= sec(\sigma)tan(\sigma)d\sigma)dx[itex] and [itex]v= tan(\sigma)[/itex], as you say, that last integrand is [itex]sec(\sigma)tan^2(\sigma)d\sigma[/itex], not [itex]tan^3(\sigma)sec(\sigma)d\sigma[/itex].

With [itex]tan^2(\sigma) sec(\sigma)d\sigma[/itex], I would proceed by putting everything in terms of sine and cosine:
    [tex]\int tan^2(\sigma) sec(\sigma)d\sigma= \int \frac{sin^2(\sigma)}{cos^2(\sigma)}\frac{1}{cos(\sigma)}d\sigma= \int \frac{sin^2(\sigma)}{cos^3(\sigma)}d\sigma[/tex]

With that odd power of cosine, I would multiply both numerator and denominator by [/itex]cos(\sigma)[/itex] to get
    [tex]\int \frac{sin^2(\sigma)}{cos^4(\sigma)}cos(\sigma)d\sigma= \int\frac{sin^2(\sigma)}{(1- sin^2(\sigma))^2} cos(\sigma)d\sigma[/tex]
    and use the substitution [itex]u= sin(\sigma)[/itex], [itex]du= cos(\sigma)d\sigma[/itex] so that the integral becomes
    [tex]\int \frac{u^2}{(1- u^2)^2}du[/tex]

4. Aug 16, 2013 #3

verty

Homework Helper

Should this be 2sec(σ)?

Then also, let t = 1/4 sinh(σ) for a shorter solution, although this is an example of why I disliked integration, it is sometimes very arcane.

5. Aug 16, 2013 #4
    Okay great thank you very much. So I took it from where you left off, HallsofIvy, and I see what you mean that yes, I did mess up with the integral and it should have been tan^2(σ)sec(σ) d(σ).
    Picking up where you left off, I suppose I would then need partial fractions?
    Wow, this has been quite the problem! Looks deceivingly simple.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted