Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Parametric curve and normal

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex] c(t) = ( cos(At), sin(At), 1) [/itex] be a curve. (A is a constant)

Show that the normal to [itex] c(t) [/itex] is always directed toward the z-axis.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how to show this. (For example, is the question "asking" us to show the cross product of something is 0 ?) If you tell me how to start the problem, I should have no problem.

I have found the normal, which is [itex] N(t) = ( -cos(At), -sin(At), 0) [/itex].

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

So you have N=<-cos(At),-sin(At),0> and this is in the form <x,y,z>.

What is z equal to? What are the consequences of the negative sign in terms of direction?

4. Jun 5, 2010 #3
    [itex] z = 1 [/itex] ? I mean [itex] z [/itex] is always equal to 1, unless you ask what [itex] z [/itex] is for the normal, which is 0. I'm not sure about your second question, could you explain more? Thanks.

5. Jun 5, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I meant for the normal. If z=0, then you're normal is essentially in the xy-plane right?

As for my other question if you have positive values of x and y, in relation to the z-axis, where would you plot those numbers? (Away or toward the axis when you keep increasing positively?)

6. Jun 5, 2010 #5
    Away the z axis?

7. Jun 5, 2010 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right, so if you have <x,y,0> it points away from the z-axis. Where would <-x,-y,0> point?

8. Jun 5, 2010 #7
    Directed toward the axis. I have a question though, cos(At) and sin(At) aren't always positive, so does this still work?

Thanks.

9. Jun 5, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I believe if you draw it out, you will see that when cosine is +ve, sine is -ve so one part of the normal will point towards the z-axis and when sine is +ve and cosine is -ve, the other part of the normal points towards the z-axis. In essence it will always point towards the z-axis.

10. Jun 5, 2010 #9
    Thanks. How should we justify the answer though? I am not sure "what to say" to answer the question. Thanks.

11. Jun 5, 2010 #10

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Your normal is <-cos(At),-sin(At),0> or x= - cos(At), y= -sin(At), if you sketch this in the xy-plane you will get a circle. Each diameter will be a normal. As long as each one passes through the origin (where the z-axis would be perpendicular to the point (0,0)) that would illustrate it.

The illustration would work I guess.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook