1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric curves

1. Jan 3, 2006 #1
    1. Im given a curve defined parametrically by [tex] x= 2/t , y=1-2t [/tex] i have found the equation of tangent at t=-2 to be y=4x+9, they have asked whether it cuts the curve again. how do i find that, since i dont know the original equation of the curve and cant solve them simultaneously.

2. Also they have asked to find an approximation for sec 61. I have used [tex] \frac{\delta y}{\delta x}= \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex], but i did not get the answer, 2.0605. How do i get about doing it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Intersect the line with the curve and see if you find any other intersection points besides t = -2. Since y = 4x+9, using the parametric equation for x, y = 4(2/t) + 9. Now substitute in the parametric equation for y and solve for t.

For the second question, I'm not really sure what you mean.

4. Jan 3, 2006 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

You should first convert 610 into radians (most work in calculus use radians, instead of degrees), i.e:
    [tex]61 ^ \circ = \frac{61 \pi}{180} \mbox{ rad}[/tex]
    Since you already have:
    [tex]\sec \left( \frac{60 \pi}{180} \right) = \sec \left( \frac{\pi}{3} \right) = 2[/tex]
    You can use
    f(x0 + h) ≈ f(x0) + h f'(x0) (h ≈ 0) to solve your problem.
    Can you go from here?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?