1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Equation of Surface [SOLVED]

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find parametric equations for the portion of the cylinder x2 + y2 = 5 that extends between the planes z = 0 and z=1.

2. Relevant equations
    I can't really find any connection but I do have
    x=a*sinv*cosu
    y=a*sinv*sinu
    z=a*cosv

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that there is a cylinder of radius 5 between z=0 and z=1 however I don't understand how to translate it in terms of u & v. In polar coordinates I know r extends from the origin (r=0) to the cylindrical curve (r=1), while theta is from 0 to 2pi.

Attached is the solution, not sure how to connect the information together

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Just focusing on the circle in the x-y plane for the moment, think about how you would translate the circle's equation into polar coordinates. That should give you equations for x and y in terms of a parameter. The inequality for z is very simple, with v = z, but within a limited interval.

4. Jul 19, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the input, I looked into it and found that v was the varying parameter, converting x and y to polar coordinates gave me the answer. Thanks again

5. Jul 19, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is x2 + y2 = 5 the equation of a cylinder of radius = 5?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle

6. Jul 19, 2015 #5
    That's how the book stated the problem, I understood it as the cylinder created when the circle x2 + y2 = 5 is extended between z=0 and z=1

7. Jul 19, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the sections thru the cylinder along the z-axis are circles, then the equation of the circle,
    namely x2 + y2 = r2, must be satisfied.

If the radius of the circular sections of the cylinder is indeed r = 5, then what must the equation of the cylinder be?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted