1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Equation Problem

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves in the xy-plane so that its position at any time t, 0 =< t =< pi, is given by:
    [tex]x(t) = \frac{t^2}{2}-ln(1+t)[/tex]
    [tex]y(t) = 3sint[/tex]

-- At that time is the particle on the y-axis on the interval? Find the speed and acceleration vector of the particle at this time.

2. Relevant equations
    None?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm actually lost -- I believe that when x(t) = 0 it will be on the y-axis but I must be doing the algebra wrong I can't seem to get an exact solution...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't solve it exactly algebraically. A well reasoned guess for a value of t such that x(t)=0 will give you the answer though.

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    So my method is right up to the point I was at? I should mention I needed to find a t value such that 0 < t < pi, so I don't think 0 is the answer, I should have added that, sorry. Eye-balling the graph it's something like t=1.25 but my teacher claims that it is possible to get an exact solution, but not that you've confirmed it I really don't think there is...

Oh and, velocity is <x'(t), y'(t)> or (x'(t))i+(y'(t))j and acceleration is <x''(t), y''(t)> or (x''(t))i+(y''(t))j

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's wrong with t=0?

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5
    Nothing I just forgot to add that the problem asks for a value of t > 0. I know it works but the problem isn't asking for it I don't think. My mistake I should have clarified:(

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  7. Oct 29, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your post does say t>=0. You've eyeballed the t>0 root correctly. But there's no way you can solve for that one in terms of elementary functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?