1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equation

1. Feb 5, 2007 #1
    The semicircle [tex] \mbox{f(x) = }\sqrt{a^2-x^2} \mbox{ -a} <=\mbox{ x }<= \mbox{a }[/tex], ( see my last thread) has the parametric equations [tex]x= }a cos\theta\mbox{, y=} a sin\theta, 0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex], show that the mean value with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex] of the ordinates of the semicircle is [tex] 2a/\pi(.64a)[/tex].
    Can someone show how you can get an expression in [tex]\theta[/tex], so I can integrate it, I 'm new to parametric equations. Thanks for the help.
    My attempt: [tex] a sin\theta = \sqrt{a^2-a^2cos^2\theta}\mbox{ which gives } a sin\theta = a sin\theta\mbox {which is what you would expect}[/tex]
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you can't get what you wrote- it isn't true! For one thing, when [itex]\theta= 0[/itex], a sin(0)= 0 but [itex]\sqrt{a^2- a^2 sin^2(0)}= a[/itex]. Did you mean [itex]a cos\theta = \sqrt{a^2- a^2sin^2\theta}[/itex]? That true because [itex]\sqrt{a^2- a^2sin^2\theta}= \sqrt{a^2(1- sin^2\theta )}= \sqrt{a^2 cos^2\theta}[/itex].
  4. Feb 6, 2007 #3
    Sorry for the mistake I meant [tex] a sin\theta = \sqrt{a^2-a^2cos^2\theta}\mbox{ which gives } a sin\theta = a sin\theta[/tex], which is of no help.
  5. Feb 6, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It also shows y=sqrt(a^2-x^2), which shows your parametric representation is correct. Now just write your integral of y dx in terms of theta. What's dx?
  6. Feb 7, 2007 #5
    [tex]\int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=\pi} \sqrt{a^2-a^2 cos^2\theta}dx[/tex], I don't know what dx is in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex]. Can someone show me please? Thanks for the help.
  7. Feb 7, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write dx=d(a*cos(theta)). It's just like finding du in a change of variable. Just differentiate!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?