Solving Parametric Equation: Find dy^2/dx^2 in Terms of t

• Thread starter naav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, the conversation is about finding the second derivative, \frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}, in terms of t for given equations x = 2cost - cos2t, y = 2sint + sin2t. The person asking the question has found their answer to be \frac{1 + cost}{2sin^3t(1 -2cost)}, while the given answer is \frac{-1}{sin^3t(2cost -1)}. They have asked if they have gone wrong somewhere and if they need to simplify further. The responder has provided a method for finding the correct expression and suggested using a more efficient method. The conversation then continues with clarification on the first
naav
Hi...i was just wondering if anyone gets the same answer to what i get for the following question...thanks...

find [tex]\frac{dy^2}{dx^2}[/tex] in terms of t for...

x = 2cost - cos2t, y = 2sint + sin2t...

i got my answer to be [tex]\frac{1 + cost}{2sin^3t(1 -2cost)}[/tex]

the answer is given as [tex]\frac{-1}{sin^3t(2cost -1)}[/tex]

have i gone wrong somewhere...do i need to simplify further...the answer i got and the one that is given do have some similarities so I'm just wondering...?...

Physics news on Phys.org
You have:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}\to\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]
Also:
[tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}=\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}+\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/tex]
Rearranging, we get:
[tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}}=\frac{\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}\frac{dx}{dt}-\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}}{(\frac{dx}{dt})^{3}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Hi...thank you...

i found:

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex]

= (d/dt)(dy/dx) * (dt/dx)

did you get the same answer as me...?...

Do not use that form; instead let:
y(t)=y(x(t))
Follow the derivation in post 3 to find the correct expression.
(The notation used here is rather sloppy, but it shouldn't be too difficult to follow)

Hi...thank you...

the method i mentioned is the way we've been shown in the textbook and in the notes...and that's the way I've tackled other questions...it's better for me to stick to the method shown in the classes...

i got dx/dt = -2sint + 2sin2t and dy/dt = 2cost + 2cos2t...

then i got dy/dx = (cost + 1)/sint

then (d^2t)/(dx^2) = (d/dt)(dy/dx) * dt/dx...

i got (d/dt)(dy/dx) = (-1 - cost)/(sin^2t)

and dt/dx = 1/(-2sint + 2cost)

then (d^2t)/(dx^2) = (1 + cost)/[(2sin^3(t)(1 - cost)]...

but the answer is given as something else...?...

naav said:
the method i mentioned is the way we've been shown in the textbook and in the notes...and that's the way I've tackled other questions...it's better for me to stick to the method shown in the classes...
Personally, I would stick with the more efficient/clever method regardless of where I've learned it from, but anywho...

i got dx/dt = -2sint + 2sin2t and dy/dt = 2cost + 2cos2t...
Correct.
then i got dy/dx = (cost + 1)/sint
Where are you getting this from? You might one to check this again.

Hi...thank you...

i got dx/dy = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt)...

according to the answer I've got that bit right...

naav said:
Hi...thank you...

i got dx/dy = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt)...

according to the answer I've got that bit right...

No, dx/dy= (dx/dt)/(dy/dt)

Hi...sorry, i was meaning the first derivative - dy/dx...

dy/dx = (dy/dt)/(dx/dt)

What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a set of equations that express the coordinates of a point in terms of one or more independent variables, often denoted by t. This allows for the representation of complex curves and shapes.

Why is it important to solve for dy^2/dx^2 in terms of t?

Finding the second derivative of a parametric equation allows for the determination of the curvature of the curve at any given point. This can be useful in analyzing and understanding the behavior of the curve.

What is the process for finding dy^2/dx^2 in terms of t?

The first step is to find the first derivative of the parametric equation, which will be in terms of t. Then, the second derivative can be found by taking the derivative of the first derivative with respect to t. Finally, the second derivative can be expressed in terms of t by substituting in the original parametric equations for x and y.

What are some common mistakes when solving for dy^2/dx^2 in terms of t?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the chain rule when taking the derivative of the first derivative. Another mistake is not substituting the original parametric equations back in to express the second derivative in terms of t.

Can dy^2/dx^2 be negative or zero?

Yes, the second derivative can be negative or zero depending on the behavior of the curve. A negative second derivative indicates a concave down curve, while a zero second derivative indicates a point of inflection.