1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Equations and cartesian equation

1. Sep 20, 2005 #1
    (1)If you are given the parametric equations [itex] x = sin(2\pi\t) [/itex] [itex] y = cos(2\pi\t) [/itex] and [itex] 0\leq t\leq 1 [/itex] how would you find the cartesian equation for a curve that contains the parametrized curve?

Using the identity [itex] \sin^{2}\theta + cos^{2}\theta = 1 [/itex] would it be [itex] x^{2} + y^{2} = 1 [/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry... What does anything have to do with t? Isn't t part of the problem? If so, should it not be part of the solution as well?
  4. Sep 20, 2005 #3
    Are you sure x and y are independent of t?? If so, the cartsian equation is just the point (0,1)
  5. Sep 21, 2005 #4
    come on its a typo.... [itex] x = \sin(2\pi t ), y = \cos(2\pi t ) [/itex]

6. Sep 21, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

plugpoint, you were the one who made the typo- "Sorry, it was a typo" would be better than "Come on its a typo"!

Yes, you are correct, since [itex]sin^2(2\pi t)+ cos^2(2\pi t)[/itex].
    You should also note that, as t goes from 0 to 1, [itex]2\pi t[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] so this would be exactly once around the circle.
  7. Sep 21, 2005 #6
    sorry about that. I was actually saying that to myself, because I was annoyed that I always make typos with Latex. Sorry To Tsar and EnumaFish. And thank you HallsofIvy for helping me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?