1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric Equations (Calc.2)

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Parametrize the curve by a pair of differentiable functions x = x(t), y = y(t) with [x '(t)]2 + [y '(t)]2≠0, then determine the tangent line at the origin.

y=2x^3

3. The attempt at a solution

Honestly I don't really understand what it's asking for. I assume it wants us to make 2 equations, x= something and y = something but I'm not quite sure how to get there. Then we can find the tangent line by taking the derivative.

Unfortunately I can't even show work on this problem since I don't even know where to start. Would appreciate any help on this question <3

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"Parametric equations" for a curve in the xy-plane are two equation x= f(t), y= g(t) such that, for any t, the corresponding point (x(t), y(t)) is a point on the curve. In particular, if the curve is given a function, y= F(x), we can just write x= t, y= F(t).

4. Apr 1, 2013 #3
    Hmmmm right... So I'm a bit confused on how we take our starting equation and turn it into two.

Would we just do

y=2x^3 and x = (y/2)^1/3 ?

5. Apr 1, 2013 #4
    Hmmmm right... So I'm a bit confused on how we take our starting equation and turn it into two.

Would we just do

y=2t^3 and x = (t/2)^1/3 ?

6. Apr 1, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. Here you are apparently finding the inverse of the function. The first equation has y as a function of x, and the second has x as a function of y.

Your first equation can be symbolized as y = f(x), and the second as x = f-1(y).
    That's not what you need to do.

No. How about x = t? What would y be then, as a function of t?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted